Thread: resizing

Beans

resizing

i found out that when i installed ubuntu i formatted every thing by accident and now i tryed to install windows 7 but when i did i find that all of my patition are gone and now i only have a big partition and another samll one so i cant to install windows 7 at all ..... i tryed to resize the big partition with a programme called GParted but it didn't work ... and i found a logo like a key beside the two partition ..... so what can i do to install win 7 even if thats mean to formate the ubuntu and HOWWWWWWWWWWW??????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HELP!!!!! problem with resizing

You need to make a new partition with a live cd or live usb. You cannot do it from your Ubuntu install because you cannot resize a partition you are using.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Ideally you should post a screenshot of what you see in gparted

But typically if you want to start over you can select create new partition table > (probably msdos type) unless you have 3TB +
    Then you should be able to re-partition
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

You need to make a new partition with a live cd or live usb. You cannot do it from your Ubuntu install because you cannot resize a partition you are using

CAN YOU SHOW ME HOW ????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Use the live cd or usb you installed ubuntu with.

Boot it up, press the windows key and start typing gparted.

Launch gparted, select your ubuntu partition, right click and unmount it if necessary. Then choose to resize it and use the slider. Then right click the empty space you just created and make a new ntfs partition there. Then install windows7 in that partition.

Finally, boot the live cd again and use the boot repair utility so that you can boot ubuntu or windows.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Beans

nothingspecial

MANY THANXX MY FRIEND .... but i want to know if the last step is neccesery ... and if i can after that remove ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you no longer wish to use ubuntu then the last step will not be necessary.