Thread: Advanced permission management

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Advanced permission management

Hello,
    i need some help to make a directory's special permission to apply. I have a directory (a home with a user that nobody uses) to be accessed by three users, it has 770. Two of them have to rwx and only one has to x only, they are not owners. Firsts users can do newgrp and put theirselves in the group of the home user and rwx, but how can the third one execute only without change whole permissions from 770 to 771? i don't want that all others can execute!
    thanks
    Paolo

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Advanced permission management

If the directory is on an ext4 filesystem, you can use ACL for that. See an example in this post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

yes, it has ext4. I ignored acl on linux filesystem.
    Thank you!
    P.

Beans

Also the "execute" permission on directories means something very different from the same permission applied to files. Since it makes no sense to execute a directory, the "x" permission means that the user or group can list the contents of the directory. A directory with "x" but not "r" allows listing the directory's contents but forbids reading the files themselves.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users