Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chromium nags me to install Unity Webapps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Chromium nags me to install Unity Webapps.

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    That was it
    BTW, I run Chromium Canary as a standalone install, in my home folder. I *think* zika does the same (although we go about it in different ways).

Chromium Canary is straight off the trunk. It "may be tremendously buggy" (quoting the website) and often has more issues than a New York magazine stand (in my experience). But it's still fun, living on the fringe-edge of computing, you know?

If you decide to run Canary, I strongly suggest you don't depend on it for anything important, like placing an online order, doing electronic money transfers, or whatever. It's likely to put you in the jackpot -- Murphy's Law, and all that stuff...

Personally, I maintain an official PPA install of Chromium too, for use during those times when you just can't take any chances of your browser going janky on you in the middle of a session.

Just saying...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    ... But it's still fun, living on the fringe-edge of computing, you know?

If you decide to run Canary, ...
    Just saying...
    Thanks for the input but I'm one of those boring KISS types who uses Chrome stable I was just curious because I hadn't heard of Chromium Canary. I knew of Chrome Canary (for Windows).
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans
    Distro

True!

I usually upgrade Canary about once a week, but...

I could upgrade it when I'm bored; which is also at least two times a day. LoL!
    I use Canary to feed my upgrade-addiction so the rest of stuff is less endangered...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.

Beans
    Distro

BTW, I run Chromium Canary as a standalone install, in my home folder. I *think* zika does the same (although we go about it in different ways).

Chromium Canary is straight off the trunk. It "may be tremendously buggy" (quoting the website) and often has more issues than a New York magazine stand (in my experience). But it's still fun, living on the fringe-edge of computing, you know?

If you decide to run Canary, I strongly suggest you don't depend on it for anything important, like placing an online order, doing electronic money transfers, or whatever. It's likely to put you in the jackpot -- Murphy's Law, and all that stuff...

Personally, I maintain an official PPA install of Chromium too, for use during those times when you just can't take any chances of your browser going janky on you in the middle of a session.

Just saying...
    Different is the name of the game...
    I (knock-knock-knock-on-the wood) did not have any major issues with Canary... Even though I have it heavily burdened with almost all switches that could be turned on for speed and... I can honestly say I like it... But, yes, most of the time I use IRON... Mainly because I see a lot of „collision ahead“ in X-logs... Even though, collision does not happen at the end...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    @pc4man, @pqwoerituytrueiwoq: Ah, thank you.

unity-chromium-extension and webaccounts-chromium-extension are listed as recommended by chromium-browser.
    And webaccounts-chromium-extension depends on webaccounts-extension-common.

I have removed these three packages and deleted the extensions from chromium (menu tools / extensions).
    Now the nagging has stopped.

@vasa1: I have only installed Xubuntu, which of course uses XFCE. But as you see, the unity nagware was installed as part of Chromium, not as part of unity.

If I wanted commercial popups, I'd buy a windows box from the high street. Eugh!
    Thanks for your help folks. Marking the thread as solved.
    Suddenly, after installing the latest round up updates to Kubuntu 13.04, Chromium is nagging me with this same message, and when I click "install plug-in" it leads to a page about "unity-chromium-extension" version 2.4.4. I currently have version 2.4.6 installed (it was one of the updates installed this morning). Even if I remove all three packages in the above quote, I am still nagged with this same "Unity WebApps plugin" message. I know this thread is marked "Solved" but evidently the problem is not solved. So how can I get rid of this annoying message? It makes using Chromium very distracting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Google Chrome isn't modified by Canonical the way Chromium is. So my guess is that users of Chrome (on any DE) won't experience any side-effects other than lack of "integration" with this whole web apps thing.

Edit: I guess the same thing happens with Firefox as well.
    When I attempted using Chrome (DE gnome session fall back) any 'bug' anyplace was associated with Chrome in that apport stated to remove a non-supported app. I then installed Chromium and all future bugs were handled as expected

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123