Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to install on old laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unable to install on old laptop

Lubuntu and Xubuntu by themselves are light weight. Its the 'Ubiquity" installer that needs more RAM... hence we use the "alternate installer". Windows XP works, but I am sure it does not work as well as it does on a machine with more RAM. Like DuckHook said, you are restrained with only 256MB RAM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If one of the *buntu's doesn't meet your needs, you can always try out Puppy Linux:

http://www.puppylinux.com/

It is a very light install and typically doesn't need much RAM. "A complete operating system with suite of GUI apps, only about 70 - 160MB and boots directly off the CD (or USB, SD, hard drive, etc.)." It can also be installed to your hard drive.
    System76 Serval Pro 7: Ubuntu 14.04; Dell Latitude D800: Lubuntu 14.04; Zotac Z-Box ID45: Mythbuntu 14.04 with MythTV 0.27

Ubuntu problems? http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Drowz0r View Post
    ...This machine is actually perfectly capable of running windows XP with no lag or chugging so I was a little surprised Lubuntu isn't really feasable on it.
    It's important to remember that Lubuntu, though lightweight, is still founded on a modern kernel that is very much up to date. XP on the other hand is now ancient technology with a die-date of April 8 next year. It's already amazing that Lubuntu can run on most equipment that XP can given the more than one-decade age difference. However, it won't run on absolutely everything, and I've got some really old Dell laptops that it refuses to install on (just like yours). There are workarounds, mostly involving pinning old kernels and device drivers, but this is really only for tinkerers and not worth the trouble for casual users who just want their stuff to work.

Is there perhaps a lighter weight alternative to Lubuntu whereby this machine can be used as a back-up, almost like netbook, to search for fixes if my main machine goes down? It'll only need a browser really...
    Many respondents have already mentioned distros like Bodhi and Puppy, all good recommendations. I would add Crunchbang to that list. I love it for its true simplicity. It just uses a window manager instead of a full-blown Desktop Environment, and its extreme Spartan look is so clean that it is as aesthetically pleasing as Nordic furniture (if that's your thing).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'd use the machine as a Server and get a better one, since it's for your son you'll need something that can be updated with newer releases and even allow your son to change to the regular Ubuntu distro.

Roland

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ah ha, well the alternative installer did work after, but it was lag central as others adviced.

I'm trying to give bodhi linux a shot but after burning it to DVD it can't seem to find anything to boot from... seems odd.

btw thanks everyone for the posts - I am reading them all.
    CPU
    : Intel® Core™ i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4
    RAM: 8 GB | HDDs: SSD 64GB + 500GB x2(L) | Power Unit: 750 W
    GFX: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 2048 |
    Display: 4:3 (5:4 res) 19" Dual Screens

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    If one of the *buntu's doesn't meet your needs, you can always try out Puppy Linux:

http://www.puppylinux.com/

It is a very light install and typically doesn't need much RAM. "A complete operating system with suite of GUI apps, only about 70 - 160MB and boots directly off the CD (or USB, SD, hard drive, etc.)." It can also be installed to your hard drive.
    Yes agreed thats what i was going to post
    i use Puppy on a 700M cpu 250MB ram old laptop, works really well.

jk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12