Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confusion with Installation Instructions

Beans

Confusion with Installation Instructions

I am trying to create a CD that will allow me to install Ubuntu 12.04 onto a PC. \

The first instruction is to put a new DVD into the drive and then wait for a window to pop up that we are told to close because we will not be using it.

The next instruction is the look for the ISO file with (or in) the File Browser. What is a File Browser? And will there be more than a single file with this ISO name?
    Last edited by lusbyclark; March 30th, 2013 at 03:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Confusion with Installation Instructions

What OS are you using?

Beans

Currently I am using Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit. I want to upgrade to the 64-bit Ubuntu.

Beans

Its located in the downloads folder in Home if you used the direct download. If you want 64bit, please tell us what Computer you have? It might not support 64Bit, but it could if you tell us.

Beans

It is a generic PC with a GIGABYTE mother board (either a GA--Z77-DS3H or GA-H77-DS3H) with in Intel Core i5-3330 CPU @3.00GHzX4. It is the same mother board with a very similar CPU I have in another generic PC that is, indeed, running the 64 bit version of Ubuntu. It has 8 GBYTES of RAM and a 240 GBYTE SSD. If you need more info, let me know. I am more than glad to help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lusbyclark View Post
    Currently I am using Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit. I want to upgrade to the 64-bit Ubuntu.
    If you're using Unity, Nautilus is your file browser.

Beans

I opened the Dash and searched for Nautilus and found the Home folder and the Files folder were identified as containing something related to this Nautilus thing. Not surprisingly both the Home and the Files folders contained identical files. I looked in all of the files in both the Home and the Files folders. Nothing! Any suggestions about what I am doing wrong? Also what am I to do with the file browser once I have it in hand? I know I am to look for some ISO file. I have already searched for an ISO file and found probably several hundred files with a nmae that included the three letters ISO. It occurs to me that maybe I have been using the file browser all along and doing so completely unaware it actually has a name.

Please bare with me for the moment. What I really want to do is to downbload the Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit stuff to a CD/DVD that will allow me to install it to this PC. It should also include the usual load of monitor drivers as well as the drivers for other such peripheral devices.
    Last edited by oldos2er; March 25th, 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Please use the default font.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The ISO file you want is named ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso

In Linux, drivers for most common hardware are compiled into the kernel. At boot it will detect your hardware and automatically load the drivers it needs. If you have old or very new hardware, drivers may not be available.

There are instructions here on downloading and burning the Ubuntu ISO: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Beans

I am still confused by the instructions. I know this makes me appear to not only helpless but also hopeless. I know now I should have posted this thread in the Absolute Beginners section, for an absolute beginner I surely am. But here I am in the Hardware and Installation section.

The first instruction say load a new CD/DVD in to a burner. It goes on to say that an instruction window will comes up, and that it should be cancelled or closed because it will not be used. The next instruction says to look for the downloaded ISO file in the/my/a file browser. Right click on this ISO file.

The confusion lies in the past tense word downloaded. Is it some file that my PC already has stored away somewhere, or is it on a server somewhere? I am also still confused about the file browser. I am aware of only two features on this PC that can be used for file browsing/searching: the Dash Home and the Home Folder. If this ISO file is located on a server somewhere, how do I get to it? I must say I doubt it is already on my PC, because it is currently running the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 12.04. The guys at the PC shop where I purchased this PC claimed they were confused about which version of Ubuntu, the 32-bit or 64-bitversion, they should deploy, and the fact that the 64-bit version comes with a prefix of "amd" told them that the 64-bit version only works with AMD processors.
    Last edited by oldos2er; March 25th, 2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: USE THE DEFAULT FONT PLEASE!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You need to download the iso file yourself before you can burn it to a disk.

The download can be found here...
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/u...ktop-amd64.iso
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast