Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest Kernel Update (3.5.0-26) Freezes Intel GPU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Latest Kernel Update (3.5.0-26) Freezes Intel GPU

Turning off apport error messages actually does not require installing anything. A slight edit to a system file will do it.
    See http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/how-t...tem-error.html
    Apport was disabled by default on older Ubuntu releases. Since 12.04, curiously, it is enabled by default. As a result, now you see the error messages and one thinks Ubuntu 12.04 is a lot less stable than its predecessors.

The "locking" issue is a different thing, and there, you should really confirm whether you also experience these lockups with an older kernel. As far as I can tell, making a choice from the grub menu only allows you to change kernels for the current session. To use an older kernel more permanently, I locked the 3.5.0-24 kernel packages using synaptic, then uninstalled the more recent ones (if someone knows a better procedure to permanently boot with an older kernel, let me know).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by agurk View Post
    phillipblake: You're welcome. Now, should you indeed find that 3.5.0-25 works just as well for you as it does for me (i.e., no GPU hangs), you can get rid of the annoying error messages by disabling error reporting:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xdiagnose
    sudo xdiagnose
    Hey I had same error and now posting this after switching to 3.5.0-25,
    thanx to agurk.

I just wanted to know, I would get linux headers updated as i got them through update manager
    Will i be always on 3.5.0-25 even after any new update. or it just automatically switches to new kernel version after update, lets say for "example 3.5.0-26"

thank you

Beans

Thanks for all your comments. I'll give that a go. Looking forward to Ubuntu 13.04 - apparently the kernel update should address this. Take care

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had similar issues with both 25 & 26 - I'm happily and stabily running 24!

Beans

Thank you phillipblake for reporting.
    This helped me a lot in narrowing down the problem. I agree that such regressions are annoying, especially on a stable system. I hope this doesn't undermine your trust in open source. In fact, the power of open source is not being error free, but in patching the errors quickly and having a very supportive and active community. As a consequence errors are less in number, but unfrotunately always happen. Audit and Quality Assurance procedures are especially important here. I expected this critical regression to be spotted out while the kernel was still in the Proposed update channel, but apparently it didn't

The bug we are talking about is tracked at this address: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1140716

For the time being I am also deleting the latest kernel and running with previously installed 3.5.0-24 . Note that even if you are installing the system from scratch you can always choose the kernel version shipped with the 12.10 release and wait a while before installing kernel updates (not the best advice, but what shall we do until they pull 3.5.0-25/26 back?)
    Nobody was born with linux knowledge!
    Here's my experience with Ubuntu linux on laptops: http://linux.aldeby.org

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

A small update, the Apport problem mentioned in this thread may have been fixed in an updated xdiagnose package that hit the mirrors today.

Beans

Hello. I don't mean to bring this back up, but I am using kernel 3.8.2-ck1 on Ubuntu 12.04 and experiencing the graphics lockups and the error message. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? The older kernel (3.2) on my system is also having the issues. I also have an optimus card for a Nvidia GT 630M, does this effect the issue in any way?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is another of those annoying regressions, affecting even the Intel integrated graphics on my MBA 4.1. Granted I shouldn't have installed this on the LTS... (I did while using boot-repair the other day)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12