Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What exactly is long term support?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What exactly is long term support?

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Some of us like both.

So we install the LTS and keep that current as the main working version, but the also install the newest to try out, see how well it works, maybe see if updates to some of the software may be worth the change and just help on bugs or being able to create work arounds for issues to help others in the forum.

If you have really new hardware sometimes the newest kernel will support it better also. For the first time 12.04 changed kernels with 12.04.2. Always before a version kept the same kernel for its entire support period.

I think the issue is that many of the new hardware can only be supported with new kernel so with a 5 year support kernel will have to be periodically updated.
    Using a four year old version of Ubuntu and need help? I cannot help because I have forgotten all about that version. Need help for a version a year old or less, even the very latest? I may be able to help because I am running the very latest. Helping new users is a good reason for running the newest version even as a secondary Ubuntu OS.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JLeon85 View Post
    Thanks for all the explanations, now I totally get it. Most people want all the latest bells & whistles, but once you have a really stable installation I can understand not wanting to upgrade.
    Mind you remaining with LTS has a place but many applications will be very, very long in the tooth by the time the next LTS is released. Backports will not give you everything you may want either...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Slightly off-topic, I think LTS is a slight "Jedi Mind Trick". There is a certain level of comfort knowing that if I want to I can safely run this flavour of Ubuntu for five (four) years, but I would be interested in the actual numbers. How many people still run Ubuntu 10.04? I would guess that the numbers are pretty low, especially since upgrading to newer versions is basically free (please note I am speaking about desktop Ubuntu, not server Ubuntu). Also these days I think that people tend to upgrade their hardware more frequently.

Having said that when I get asked to install Ubuntu for someone who knows very little about computers I tend to install the most recent LTS, the look they get in their eyes when I tell them they will have free security and software updates for FOUR (now five right?) years is pretty cool.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by solarghost View Post
    Slightly off-topic, I think LTS is a slight "Jedi Mind Trick". There is a certain level of comfort knowing that if I want to I can safely run this flavour of Ubuntu for five (four) years, but I would be interested in the actual numbers. How many people still run Ubuntu 10.04? I would guess that the numbers are pretty low, especially since upgrading to newer versions is basically free (please note I am speaking about desktop Ubuntu, not server Ubuntu). Also these days I think that people tend to upgrade their hardware more frequently.

Having said that when I get asked to install Ubuntu for someone who knows very little about computers I tend to install the most recent LTS, the look they get in their eyes when I tell them they will have free security and software updates for FOUR (now five right?) years is pretty cool.
    So you mean the average users should upgrade their OS to the newest release if they can? I wonder that should I upgrade 12.04 to 12.10 and then 13.04? I use ubuntu for code and normal demand? I also like new features, but I'm worried about crashes if I upgrade my OS. I want a stability!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by lovevn View Post
    I want a stability!
    No, I would recommend you stay on 12.04. If you are looking for stability stick with what you know. I find 12.10 highly stable but you might run into things that you don't like. I do Java development on 12.10 and will be upgrading to 13.04 as soon as it's officially released. I think it all comes down to personal preference/goals.

I would recommend you look at installing the latest OS on a different PC (or virtual machine) to see how you like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lovevn View Post
    So you mean the average users should upgrade their OS to the newest release if they can? I wonder that should I upgrade 12.04 to 12.10 and then 13.04? I use ubuntu for code and normal demand? I also like new features, but I'm worried about crashes if I upgrade my OS. I want a stability!
    I'm running the Pre-Release of 13.04 x64 on my Toshiba Notebook, and find it very stable. I came from Windows 8 Pro x64, so I thought I might as well go for the newer OS from the start.

I like the OTA upgrade process that Ubuntu has compared to the having to buy a New version of Windows, or download the latest version of OpenSuse to upgrade (But still being able to download the latest version, to avoid long update processes when doing a re-install or upgrading HDD or computer).

Roland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12