Thread: Swapfile disappeared, cannot suspend or hibernate PC

Beans

Swapfile disappeared, cannot suspend or hibernate PC

Have been renning xubuntu 12.04 on my old dell 4400 dimension desktop for a few months with no issues. It became intermittently very sluggish in the last few days & when I noticed "suspend" button disappeared from the logout window I discovered the swapfile had disappeared.
    Manually created a new 1G swapfile per https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq#addswap
    New swapfile seems to be working fine - running the free command in terminal gives something like:
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 766340 711836 54504 0 122544 166428
    -/+ buffers/cache: 422864 343476
    Swap: 1048572 156 1048416

However it still will not suspend, now gives a "No Kernel Support" error when I try. Havent seen any major crashes & only recent software installs have been the regular ubuntu updates. Not sure where to proceed from here short of entire re-install & would appreciate any pointers.

Beans

Re: Swapfile disappeared, cannot suspend or hibernate PC

Update - The suspend/hibernate issue was not the end of the world, but of more concem was that recreating the swapfile did nothing for the general clunkiness of performance. Most importantly (for my wife anyway), it could no longer stream videos smoothly. I booted to 3.2.0-38-generic kernel this morning (from 3.2.0-39), and hey presto everything runs smoothly again! (and suspend is back!) So obviously things must have gone a bit haywire in the most recent update. Next question - how do I force re-install of the 3.2.0-39 kernel?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mayoman View Post
    Update - The suspend/hibernate issue was not the end of the world, but of more concem was that recreating the swapfile did nothing for the general clunkiness of performance. Most importantly (for my wife anyway), it could no longer stream videos smoothly. I booted to 3.2.0-38-generic kernel this morning (from 3.2.0-39), and hey presto everything runs smoothly again! (and suspend is back!) So obviously things must have gone a bit haywire in the most recent update. Next question - how do I force re-install of the 3.2.0-39 kernel?
    That sounds like you ran the update-initramfs command on only one kernel when adding the swapfile.

The command "sudo update-initramfs -u" given in the instructions you linked to will only update 1 kernel, adding the switch "-k all", will update all kernels, eg
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
    I would update all the kernels then reboot into 3.2.0-39 and see if that helped, if not I'd look into bugs on launchpad etc.

Edit: re performance, what "swappiness" setting have you set the system to ?
    Last edited by coldcritter64; March 24th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldcritter64 View Post
    That sounds like you ran the update-initramfs command on only one kernel when adding the swapfile.

The command "sudo update-initramfs -u" given in the instructions you linked to will only update 1 kernel, adding the switch "-k all", will update all kernels, eg
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
    I would update all the kernels then reboot into 3.2.0-39 and see if that helped, if not I'd look into bugs on launchpad etc.

Edit: re performance, what "swappiness" setting have you set the system to ?
    Did not run the sudo update-initramfs command as it said in the post above that section that it will not work in 12.04 (which I'm running). As I do not have a swap partition I just followed the "4 step process to add a swapfie" section. I did verify it worked in 3.2.0-39 & is working in 3.2.0-38 today.
    I played with the swappiness as well but it did not make a difference (everything from 10 to 90). I was on the default 60 before this issue started. I have just checked and am now at 40 which was the last value I tried. I am pretty sure that more than just the swapfile got screwed up in the 3.2.0-39 kernel. Also, it should be noted the pc is borderline on video streaming at the best of times (Xp and Ubuntu are too slow, Xubuntu streams SD ok, but not HD), so it would not take much to kill streaming performance!

Beans
    Hidden!

What sort of hardware specs are you talking on the Dell you have, RAM, processor etc ? If it struggles with xubuntu, sounds very limited in resources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldcritter64 View Post
    If it struggles with xubuntu, sounds very limited in resources.
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
    768MB RAM

Yes very limited! To be honest, I installed linux purely to put off the day I need to buy a new PC.

Bottleneck as I see it is the CPU & ancient motherboard architecture, so, as long as Xubuntu can stream SD ok I'll keep it going. Otherwise I'll have to splash the cash!
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 24th, 2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: fixed quotes tag

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

I would have installed Lubuntu on that machine with those specs.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Yeah, for us beginners a table or form of PC spec v suitable OS would be great to point us in the right direction. When I was looking at the various options it just said Xubuntu or Lubuntu for older slower machines. I went from Xp to Ubuntu (which was no better at streaming), to Xubuntu - which was much better and left it at that. More importantly the Xp-Xubuntu transition was easy for my non-tech wife. Not sure how she would take another transition to Lubuntu

EDIT: Of course what I should have said was that the Xp-Xubuntu transition was easy for me (to teach my non-tech wife). "Start menu is top left instead of bottom left, use thunderbird instead of outlook for email," Tutorial done!
    Last edited by mayoman; March 24th, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Beans

Update: Tried uninstalling & reinsalling 3.0.0-39 kernel but no change, so staying with 3.2.0-38 for the moment.
    Ran the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove linux-image-3.2.0-39-generic
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
    Not sure if that is enough or if I should delete everything to do with the 39 kernel?

Or maybe I should give up & take Matts advice
    I would have installed Lubuntu on that machine with those specs.