Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical and China

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Ubuntu tapped by China for national operating system

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    Chair throwing should commence in 3...2...1....]
    rof,lmao!!

i hear they have an app for that
    ( but its not compatible with open source chairs )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Canonical and China

My earlier post in opposition got jailed; I'm not entirely sure what was wrong with it, except that I said "The Chinese" when I meant "The Chinese government". Unfortunately, after the jailing, someone else on another forum noted that "there seems to be no opposition from anyone on Ubuntu Forums" which is certainly not the case.

I'll be a bit more careful in this post as I'd like my opposition to stand on record.

I'm strongly opposed to Western companies getting into bed with the Chinese government. I'm especially opposed to Canonical doing this, and I consider that writing a distro for Chinese government use is "getting into bed" with them. The risks are enormous - not just to Canonical but also to Ubuntu and its users - and I don't think Canonical has the savvy to avoid the risks. There's also the question of ethics which is too large to ignore.

I've not completely made up my mind, but I think this will be my last pure Ubuntu installation. I have concerns about what could happen if China decided it was strong enough to take aggressive action, and Ubuntu effectively being used against me if I was on the front lines of any future conflict. I'm feeling like I want to move away from Ubuntu, initially to Linux Mint and then perhaps to something not derived from Ubuntu code. Debian maybe?

I won't make a big song and dance about it because that will annoy people, but I'm very disappointed that Canonical is making this move, and also disappointed in Canonical's sense of ethics too. I do hope that it will be strong enough to stand up for itself against any unethical demands from the Chinese government.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Closed for review.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re-opened.

With a final reminder to stay within the Code of Conduct and to veer away from politics.

We understand that it's not always easy to do so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    The risks are enormous - not just to Canonical but also to Ubuntu and its users
    Can you be a bit more specific about what you think these might be?

It's still an open source product, the code will be available for review by all. I don't see any risk of anything underhand going on. So what if there are a set of patches that are applied to the Chinese market? It's not like anything is going to get upstream without having a lot of eyeballs on it.

Beans

This is good news for Canonical. Having more users using the Ubuntu base will hopefully bring new developers on board as well as helping identify and fix bugs. I would remind users not to get political about this.

If this project is successful it will be good. If it fails then it's not the end of the world, but we lose a big chance to increase government adoption of free software. If this project is successful then other people may follow suit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu is going to become the best distro. Because we will have ten times as many people working on it compared to other distros. It will be polished so brightly you won't even be able to look at it.
    Phenom X4 Quad Core 9950 Black Editon, Geforce 8800GT

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darrenn View Post
    Ubuntu is going to become the best distro. Because we will have ten times as many people working on it compared to other distros. It will be polished so brightly you won't even be able to look at it.
    Quantity does not mean Quality.

Also best is indefinable as it is subjective to a user experience and level of knowledge.

There are many developers getting paid lots of money so highly motivated (in theory) working on Windows, but not everyone enjoys it

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

S Korea next?

I think people are pretty much sick of hackers. from what i read "wiper" got into S Korea banking via a phishing message
    what does Snoopy say for such ?

"Good grief!" --perhaps?

Beans

S Korea next?
    Maybe. I think North Korea already have their own Linux Distro called Red Star OS.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast