Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing applications

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: VERY NEW to Ubuntu...

“Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

unfortunately is x86. yes i did saw that package on sourceforge website.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post

Might as well have said RTFM...

Geez, I thought Ubuntu was supposed to be the helpful place.

Seriously, though, take the advice of others and stick to the software center until you have learned more about linux.

AlphaA
    "Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer" -Voltaire

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    What program are you trying to install?
    From what I can gather, OP is just trying to configure his firewall and under the mistaken impression that GUFW won't do what he wants it to.

Quote Originally Posted by jed1347 View Post
    Got gufw enabled but it doestn filter ips.
    Therefore, he is trying to download and install an alternate app. I've mentioned that:

1. GUFW does indeed filter IPs, and
    2. It is not a good idea for new users to go outside of the repositories, much less compile a new program from source.

@OP

If you don't like GUFW, you can try Firewall Builder, which is also available in the repos and can be downloaded by doing:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fwbuilder
    I use fwbuilder to build my rules set for my router which has been converted to dd-WRT and it works quite nicely. Documentation like users manual and tutorials can be downloaded straight from their site and are very clear and helpful with plenty of examples. ***REPEAT*** Do not download the app from the site--only the docs. Downloading apps outside of the repos is a bad Windows practice that is neither safe nor necessary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    From what I can gather, OP is just trying to configure his firewall and under the mistaken impression that GUFW won't do what he wants it to.
    Thanks. For some reason none of the replies showed when I read the OP.

Beans

Re: Installing applications

ok. i might messed up things a little bit. but i have never mantion i want to set up my firewall or even build it i just wanted to install peerguardian or ipblock or iplist program that can fillter information or whatever so i can safely use transmission or any other p2p software that deals with torrents...so i have found it on the source forge website but got trouble to install it. couse i dont know how couse i am new to that stuff all that command line, packages compilation or whatever else. so didi ask for help installing this ipblock thingy i was useing for years under windows only 2 clicks away, i did ask for few lines of code/commands how to get this stuff working. is it realy that much??? though Ubuntu was made by people for people not for people that know how to use linux. and also ubuntu forums supposed to be place where people like me newbies could find help "How To" but so far only few of You, familiar with this OS was acctually bothered to read carefully my post and give seriouse advice, help with a code. which whom i am thankfull...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing applications

Then what you want is a blocklist for Transmission, not a whole new firewall builder.

A quick Google search should yield some URLs for Transmission blocklists. Paste the URL into the Transmission preferences window and it will keep you safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12