Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internal error - gpu hung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Internal error - gpu hung

On 20 March, crash report errors started to appear typically 20 minutes after turn on. These generate files in var/crash unlike the "false gpu hung" bug already reported. Sometimes the screen freezes, sometimes Firefox doesn't respond. Sometimes the system operates normally. This problem has been noted on "Ask Ubuntu" but closed without resolution as being too localised, whatever that means. This is not a new installation and I have made no major chages to the system other than regular updates.

Syslog reports

Code:
    [ 2460.825149] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] ERROR Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
    Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit
    Intel Sandybridge integrated graphics
    kernel 3.5.0-26-generic

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Internal error - gpu hung

Do you have any temperature monitors for the Intel Integrated Graphics? It's possible that it's overheating and most Intel chips will just stop when a thermal threshhold is exceeded. If this is a laptop, take some compressed air (75 psi) not the canned air, and blow out the dust from the air vents. It might be time to open it up and check the heat paste. Usually the integrated graphics chip share a heat sink with the main CPU. Once the paste is replaced, tighten down properly, but don't overtighten or you will break the screws.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Do you have any temperature monitors for the Intel Integrated Graphics? It's possible that it's overheating and most Intel chips will just stop when a thermal threshhold is exceeded. If this is a laptop, take some compressed air (75 psi) not the canned air, and blow out the dust from the air vents. It might be time to open it up and check the heat paste. Usually the integrated graphics chip share a heat sink with the main CPU. Once the paste is replaced, tighten down properly, but don't overtighten or you will break the screws.
    Thanks for your response. The PC was a new build when I installed 12.10 a few months ago. The mini tower case has a filter on the fan intake - this is clean. I can't monitor GPU temperature but mobo and CPU temperatures are all normal which would not be the case if there was an airflow problem. I assume that your thoughts are based on the 20 minute delay before the first crash? This behaviour was reported on previous Ubuntu versions and was fixed by kernel updates. In this instance it is more likely that a kernel update has caused the problem as I believe there was such an update a few days ago.

I should add that I have Ubuntu installed on a SSD which did cause a similar problem with earlier versions I understand.

Beans

Hi,
    The exact same problem started happening for me 2-3 days ago, after doing an update.

*ERROR* hangcheck timer elapsed... gpu hung

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    kernel 3.2.0-39-generic

The machine is unusable, it typically freezes within a few minutes of use.

No idea how to start looking for a solution, please let me know if you get anywhere.

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Do the machines successfully boot an older kernel ?

Beans

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as described by anorakgirl. It started occuring after the last update I made yesterday. However when I boot the previous kernel (3.2.0-38) my machine work fine:

Linux xxx 3.2.0-38-generic #61-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 19 12:18:21 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am having the same problem I think. I did an update yesterday and then today these error messages keep popping up.

I am using v12.10 on Lenovo G570 laptop. Everything has been working great until the last update and then all of a sudden these error messages start popping up all over the place.

Not sure how to fix it or if I need to wait for another update to fix the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i have tried booting to an earlier kernel and it made FA difference.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by father_ted View Post
    i have tried booting to an earlier kernel and it made FA difference.
    I have now tried this too - no difference

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all -- a me-too, and an observation. I get these GPU hangs (some of which are real, computer-killing hangs) exclusively while running XUL-based applications. Thunderbird is the worst offender, followed closely by Firefox. To confirm that it's not an overheating issue, I've used heavyweight OpenGL apps with shaders to get my machine so hot that it does complain about temperature... and this only happens at far, far higher loads than what the XUL apps are generating.

[EDIT] - Another strange, possibly unrelated side effect. Since the problem started, the <canvas> object in Firefox has become badly broken. Updates are only painted about once every 8 seconds. Trying to work up a test case.
    Last edited by jturner; March 24th, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast