Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HTML query string, or other options

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

HTML query string, or other options

Greetings,

I rarely need to code, but when I do, it's generally bash scripts and some C. In this instance, my task involves a web page-based solution - of which I have little experience. The page basically needs to have two fields and a submit button; the purpose is sending SMS messages. HTTP GET is used to send a query string to the server, which then sends the message. It has to be GET, which is where I am stuck - here is an example string:

Code:
    http://192.168.50.15:81/sendmsg?user=USER&passwd=PASSWORD&cat=1&to=77665455037&text=hi there
    Observe the space at the end, I know that URLs shouldn't have spaces, but the bloody unit takes the strings literally, so resulting SMS messages have a "+" between every word. I could get around this if I was able to use POST, but I cannot. Can anyone suggest a route to take where I can construct a URL based on form data and utilise spaces?

Beans

Re: HTML query string, or other options

Is url encoding the string not an option? I don't think spaces will work in HTTP URLS. %20 would be a space in URL encoding, try that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi there, and thanks for your reply.

I considered that, but I'm not sure how to convert spaces to %20 when the form is submitted.

Beans

What's handling the form submission? Typically form data is automatically URL encoded.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm just using a basic form:

Code:
    <form action='http://192.168.50.15:81/sendmsg' method='get'>
      <input type='hidden' name='user' value='user' />
      <input type='hidden' name='passwd' value='password' />
      <input type='hidden' name='cat' value='1' />
      <div>
        SMS Number:
        <input type='text' name='to' />
      </div>
      <div>
        <input type='text' name='text' maxlength="160" />
      </div>
      <input type='submit' />
    </form
    I'm very novice at HTML work, so forgive me if I've missed anything obvious here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In a similar situation Grenage, I have used macros to get the job done. Like Imacros, which can be called from bash as scripts.

I am confused however, is using the website mandatory? I guess it is if you want other web users sending you sms.
    Can you just send data to the server directly using curl, wput, expect, or wget --post-file=filetoSend URL
    (I try to stick with expect or wget as much as possible, they are very handy)

lykwydchykyn is sysing that
    http://192.168.50.15:81/sendmsg?user...455037&text=hi there
    should look like http://192.168.50.15:81/sendmsg?user...ext=hi%20there

in your bash script, you could call firefox to load your webform, and get the perk of having firefox handle the encoding.

I am a a little confused about the scope of this project... who is using the web form?
    Last edited by conradin; March 21st, 2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: thought
    ~Conradin~

Beans

I see, you're submitting directly to the service, which leaves it up to the browser to url encode the form. You could do a submit using javascript and url encode the data before submission, or submit to an intermediate webserver that could process the submission.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi again, and thank you both for your input.

This is basically going to be used by multiple users across multiple operating systems, and we're after a lightweight method of sending SMS messages manually. I wrote a C app which handles automated messages via TCP (the unit has both a TCP and HTTP API), but that just sits on a debian nagios box and does its thing. I am entirely open to suggestions on doing this another way, as long as it's reasonably lightweight and will work across OSs. Enter the phone number, type a quick message, click to send.

I'll have a look into Javascript (something else I've not had to touch before), and see what I can do there; I was basically going mad with the HTTP forms, and wondering if I was missing something that others took for granted. At least it makes the day interesting!

Beans

I think the easiest thing would be to write a little PHP or Perl script that properly formats your form submission for the C app, and have your HTML form submit to that. I'm not clear on why you can't do POST submissions if you have control of the C code.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The device itself won't accept POST submissions, and the C app I wrote merely processes a CVS export and sends it to the device on its TCP API; the C code itself isn't the recipient - the device is a multimodem iSMS server. We don't maintain any production webservers interally, so I was hoping that I could use a basic page that runs on the client. The Javascript option you mentioned is probably going to be my first port of call, otherwise I could try and write an app that receives submissions and forwards it on.

As you can probably tell, coding is not my normal remit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast