Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Built-In GPS Panasonic Toughbook CF-29

Beans

Re: Built-In GPS Panasonic Toughbook CF-29

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Just to make it clear: the GPS appears to be a serial device attached to what MS-DOS calls a COM port. Nothing to do with USB. It might be attached to /dev/tty3 or /dev/tty11, but I have never used serial ports in Linux.

I Googled: serial gps linux
    and got lots of hits. This might be useful:
    http://catb.org/gpsd/troubleshooting.html
    That is correct, it's a built in device, and all GPS related programs like TOPO! or Delorme Street Atlas connect to the GPS via COM port 3, or 4 whichever it feels like that day.

Thanks for the link Ill take a look and see what I can dig up there.

Beans

Re: Built-In GPS Panasonic Toughbook CF-29

OK, I finally have it working, tho I am not sure exactly what step I took to get it working or if it was all of them, so here is a rundown of what I did:

Searching Google for gpsd manual and tips I found that a user was getting an error like I was about permission denied when entering /dev/ttySx. I found that I needed to add myself to the "dialout" group. I did that by entering this into the terminal, and then rebooting the box:
    Code:
    sudo adduser (name) dialout
    Once reboot was completed, I then ran the gpsd reconfiguration script in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gpsd
    The values I entered were a guess. Since my laptop has an actual serial port on the back, I guessed that the GPS receiver was in serial slot 2, so I entered ttyS2, and kept everything else as a default.

Once that was done, I entered the following from another site which stated it would start gpsd appropriately:
    Code:
    stty -F /dev/ttyS2 ispeed 4800 && cat </dev/ttys2
    Once that was done, I tried out the GPS in terminal by using:
    Code:
    xgps
    and
    Code:
    cgps
    All worked. It took it about 5 minutes to get a 2D lock on me (as I was inside). One site said it could take up to 20 minutes. I closed out the terminals and launched a variety of GPS programs like GPSDrive, FoxTrot and Viking. All worked as expected.

Thank you to everyone who provided input and suggestions, I really appreciate the help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12