Thread: Nvidia driver not able to install and apport crashing

Beans

Nvidia driver not able to install and apport crashing

I have a fresh installation of Ubuntu 12.10.When I tried to install nvidia drivers the following errors occurred. Please help.
    Can I use Nvidia drivers with Unity?

Code:
    khat33b@Oa:~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates
    [sudo] password for khat33b: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      nvidia-current-updates
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/67.7 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 204 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Selecting previously unselected package nvidia-current-updates.
    (Reading database ... 155992 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking nvidia-current-updates (from .../nvidia-current-updates_304.51-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up nvidia-current-updates (304.51-0ubuntu1) ...
    update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-current-updates/ld.so.conf to  provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf  (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode
    update-alternatives: using  /usr/lib/nvidia-current-updates/alt_ld.so.conf to provide  /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in  auto mode
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    INFO:Enable nvidia-current-updates
    DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/lenovo_thinkpad
    DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/dell_latitude
    DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/put_your_quirks_here
    DEBUG:Processing quirk ThinkPad T420s
    DEBUG:Failure to match Dell Inc. with LENOVO
    DEBUG:Quirk doesn't match
    DEBUG:Processing quirk Latitude E6530
    DEBUG:Failure to match Inspiron N5110 with Latitude E6530
    Loading new nvidia-current-updates-304.51 DKMS files...
    Building only for 3.5.0-17-generic
    Building for architecture x86_64
    Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
    kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-17-generic
    I have Dell Inspiron N5110, RAM 3.8GB, Processor Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz × 4, Graphics is shown Unknown, 64bit OS.

The result of
    Code:
    lspci |grep VGA
    is:
    Code:
    khat33b@Oa:~$ lspci |grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core  Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 540M] (rev a1)
    Also, Ubuntu has experienced an internal error window keeps on popping up. This window appears every five minutes. Restarting he computer does not help. On clicking show details, The executable path is
    Code:
    /usr/share/apport/apport-gpu-error-intel.py
    . There are also many other details.It's a pretty huge list! Please tell me which is required so I can post them here.

Another window also appears: Apport has detected a possible GPU hang. Did your system recently lock up and/or require a hard reboot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Nvidia driver not able to install and apport crashing

What you have is an Nvidia Optimus card.

This is a hybrid graphics solution. It means you have an Nvidia card + Intel Integrated solution. This is why your graphics is rather messed up.

The following steps I'm about to outline will install the Nvidia drivers for your card, using a software called Bumblebee.

Open a new Terminal, and Enter the following. When it asks for your password, provide it and hit Enter:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
    Now, using the same Terminal or another terminal Enter this:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    Now, once again using the same Terminal or using a new Terminal Enter this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia linux-headers-generic
    Whenever it asks for your password, input it and hit Enter. If it asks [y/n], then type in 'y' and hit Enter.
    Once that's all done, just restart your system. It should hopefully work off the bat. Let me know if you encounter any problems. You'll know it worked by searching in Ubuntu's Dash for Nvidia. You should get something called NVIDIA XServer Settings, or something like that.

P.S: Drivers from Nvidia's website WILL NOT WORK. This is because Nvidia does NOT support Optimus in Linux. Bumblebee is a community project meant to help the community, where Nvidia has failed to.

Beans

I installed it successfully but Nvidia does not show in Dash and my graphics driver in Computer details still shows Unknown.
    Do you think it's because of this:

[CODE]DEBUGarsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/lenovo_thinkpad DEBUGarsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/dell_latitude DEBUGarsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/put_your_quirks_here DEBUGrocessing quirk ThinkPad T420s DEBUG:Failure to match Dell Inc. with LENOVO DEBUG:Quirk doesn't match DEBUGrocessing quirk Latitude E6530 DEBUG:Failure to match Inspiron N5110 with Latitude E6530 DEBUG:Quirk doesn't match[\CODE]

Beans

I installed it successfully but Nvidia does not show in Dash and my graphics driver in Computer details still shows Unknown.
    Do you think it's because of this:
    Code:
    DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/lenovo_thinkpad 
    DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/dell_latitude
     DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/put_your_quirks_here 
    DEBUG:Processing quirk ThinkPad T420s 
    DEBUG:Failure to match Dell Inc. with LENOVO 
    DEBUG:Processing quirk Latitude E6530 
    DEBUG:Failure to match Inspiron N5110 with Latitude E6530 

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Multimedia & Video.

Beans

Beans

After installing mesa-utils, my graphics driver is showing Intel® Sandybridge Mobile but apport is still crashing and even though bumblebee has been installed properly, there is no Nvidia in Dash.

Update: Although there is no Nvidia in dash, nvidia is showing installed in the terminal like ENargit and even bumblebee is installed.
    dmesg | grep bbswitch
    shows:
    Code:
    khat33b@Oa:~$ dmesg | grep bbswitch
    [   14.569984] bbswitch: version 0.5
    [   14.569991] bbswitch: Found integrated VGA device 0000:00:02.0: \_SB_.PCI0.GFX0
    [   14.569997] bbswitch: Found discrete VGA device 0000:01:00.0: \_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
    [   14.570086] bbswitch: detected an Optimus _DSM function
    [   14.570093] bbswitch: Succesfully loaded. Discrete card 0000:01:00.0 is on
    [   14.571522] bbswitch: disabling discrete graphics
    [ 9539.872434] bbswitch: enabling discrete graphics
    [ 9545.198777] bbswitch: disabling discrete graphics
    [10711.859900] bbswitch: enabling discrete graphics
    [10717.238584] bbswitch: disabling discrete graphics
    Last edited by khat33b; March 23rd, 2013 at 02:20 PM.

Beans

I'm facing the same issue with Ubuntu 12.10 on Dell Inspiron N5110. The only thing I can add to khat33b's story is that nvidia-settings package is installed but when I run it from command line, I get the following message:
    "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."
    But doing so breaks graphics at all.

Besides, bumblebee is installed, `dmesg | grep bbswitch` shows
    [ 93.805039] bbswitch: version 0.5
    [ 93.805047] bbswitch: Found integrated VGA device 0000:00:02.0: \_SB_.PCI0.GFX0
    [ 93.805054] bbswitch: Found discrete VGA device 0000:01:00.0: \_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP
    [ 93.805133] bbswitch: detected an Optimus _DSM function
    [ 93.805141] bbswitch: Succesfully loaded. Discrete card 0000:01:00.0 is on
    [ 93.806911] bbswitch: disabling discrete graphics

Beans

The same problem as khat33b. Tried out what My romance123 said, but with the result that my grafic card when from unknown to Intel® Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2. Well that must be the internal card, and not the Nvidia i have (NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 520M] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)). And i cant find the Nvidia settings in dash either. What do we do???

My romance123 post:
    What you have is an Nvidia Optimus card.

This is a hybrid graphics solution. It means you have an Nvidia card + Intel Integrated solution. This is why your graphics is rather messed up.

The following steps I'm about to outline will install the Nvidia drivers for your card, using a software called Bumblebee.

Open a new Terminal, and Enter the following. When it asks for your password, provide it and hit Enter:
    Code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
    Now, using the same Terminal or another terminal Enter this:
    Code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    Now, once again using the same Terminal or using a new Terminal Enter this:
    Code:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia linux-headers-generic
    Whenever it asks for your password, input it and hit Enter. If it asks [y/n], then type in 'y' and hit Enter.
    Once that's all done, just restart your system. It should hopefully work off the bat. Let me know if you encounter any problems. You'll know it worked by searching in Ubuntu's Dash for Nvidia. You should get something called NVIDIA XServer Settings, or something like that.

P.S: Drivers from Nvidia's website WILL NOT WORK. This is because Nvidia does NOT support Optimus in Linux. Bumblebee is a community project meant to help the community, where Nvidia has failed to.