Thread: ATI Video Card Drivers.

Beans

ATI Video Card Drivers.

Hello, I am fairly new to Ubuntu, and im having a couple problems getting Ubuntu working. Ive searched the forums and found sound links to the ati video card drivers. (Catalyst) and I cant seem to install it. Everytime I open it is opens a text editor or something of that sort, but it freezes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ATI Video Card Drivers.

Moved to Mulitmedia & Video

Hello and welcome!

Can you tell us a little about the specs of your machine and how you installed the driver?

I'm not convinced that what you are seeing is a video driver issue, but we'll start there.

QIII
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

6GB Ram,Core 2 Duo @ 2.8ghz ,ATI Radeon 4800 HD 1GB Video Card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

And which version of Ubuntu?

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Newest. 12.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Well, unfortunately, that would be the problem.

AMD/ATI placed everything earlier than HD 5xxx series codes in a legacy driver branch. Unfortunately, that driver will only work with X Server 1.12.

12.10 uses X Server 1.13.

You have three choices:

1. Use the open source Radeon driver installed by default. It will be entirely sufficient for the needs of the vast majority of users.
    2. Install 12.04, which uses X Server 1.12. It's an LTS (Long Term Support) that will be supported until 2017.
    3. Find one of many guides that tell you how to downgrade X Server to 1.12, patch your kernel and use a dead-end legacy driver.

I recommend so strongly against the last that I won't even suggest where to find out how to do that. The problem is that with a system so patched, it is impossible to predict what may happen in the future if you try to update or upgrade.

If you are interested in that route, I'm sure someone will come along with a suggestion.

I'm sorry to bear such news. ATI made a business decision based on their cost/benefit analyses and we came up short.

(You could buy a newer card, but that's money and I won't tell you how to spend that! )

Beans

I see, Well When installing Ubuntu I pressed on an option button in the top right hand corner bar that Said High resolution, and the screen turned big. And all My Windows are large, even if the icons for the menu are small. I checked my Resolution for the display and its at 1024:768

Beans

Didnt work out, Found a link with a driver, but didnt work and screwed up my resolution for Ubuntu. Ended up downgrading versiona and completely re-installing it. got 12.04

What Driver Do i get now?