Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tons of error reports, hang-ups, failing repositories all since I last updated...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Tons of error reports, hang-ups, failing repositories all since I last updated...

vadertater; Hey

Getting to the bottom of things.
    I am aware that there exist the bug with "apptor-gpu-error-intel.py" however, this is my first encounter with it and I am more than willing to have Matt's input to all of this.
    resuming -momentarily- my back seat

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Tons of error reports, hang-ups, failing repositories all since I last updated...

Hi

Sorry typo. Should have been a capital X

Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit
    Blasted keyboard

Post the URL for that. I'll amend my last post.

EDIT:

You're not the only one getting this error by the looks of it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1135473

How often are you getting the GPU hang error ?

EDIT2:

And another... (This is an old one though)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/754777

EDIT3:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1159536

Post #6 suggests updating the kernel
    I did an update to Kernel 3.8.4-030804-generic.
    I get the error message only once and then everthing works fine for me.
    That may be worth a try and it's a simple fix if it works for you.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 26th, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Sweet! I'll read though those threads. Here is the URL as requested http://paste.ubuntu.com/5650582/

Beans
    Distro

HI

Here is the URL as requested .....
    Nothing really in that log. It may be worth while looking at syslog.

Code:
    grep -m1 -iC5 "hangcheck" /var/log/syslog
    Captial C above. Copy and paste into your next post. No need for pastebin really here.

This is just to check to see what is going on.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 27th, 2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: No need for pastebin

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro

I upgraded my kernel using this: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2013/03/...-ubuntu-12-10/

Then I rebooted and I am now having issues connecting to the internet via wireless (always a problem) and wired connection... I'm looking at this thread currently http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2075692&page=2, so I'll get back to you later tonight.

I haven't gotten any error messages yet... fingers crossed!

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by vadertater View Post
    I upgraded my kernel using this: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2013/03/...-ubuntu-12-10/

Then I rebooted and I am now having issues connecting to the internet via wireless (always a problem) and wired connection... I'm looking at this thread currently http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2075692&page=2, so I'll get back to you later tonight.

I haven't gotten any error messages yet... fingers crossed!
    Any wired/wireless problems should be easier to fix than random GPU hangups.

Post back on how you get on.

You may also want to pin your kernel so a kernel update will not revert to an older kernel that is giving the same GPU hangup issues.

Kind regards

Beans
    Distro

I'll look up how to pin the kernel.

and guess what... My wireless is working... how crazy. So if wireless continues to be an issue, I'll post another thread. Here is the output you wanted:

Code:
    nate@nate-Satellite-C855:~$ grep -m1 -iC5 "hangcheck" /var/log/syslog
    Mar 26 13:12:57 nate-Satellite-C855 AptDaemon.Worker: INFO: Simulating trans: /org/debian/apt/transaction/2e8d536157ef4c62a395b73669b59bc3
    Mar 26 13:12:58 nate-Satellite-C855 AptDaemon.Worker: INFO: Committing packages: dbus.Array([dbus.String('synaptic')], signature=dbus.Signature('s')), dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s')), dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s')), dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s')), dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s')), dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('s'))
    Mar 26 13:17:01 nate-Satellite-C855 CRON[2404]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Mar 26 13:18:27 nate-Satellite-C855 AptDaemon: INFO: Quitting due to inactivity
    Mar 26 13:18:27 nate-Satellite-C855 AptDaemon: INFO: Quitting was requested
    Mar 26 13:28:31 nate-Satellite-C855 kernel: [ 1605.104090] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
    Mar 26 13:28:31 nate-Satellite-C855 kernel: [ 1605.104096] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
    Mar 26 13:28:31 nate-Satellite-C855 kernel: [ 1605.107234] [drm] Enabling RC6 states: RC6 on, RC6p off, RC6pp off
    Mar 26 13:35:19 nate-Satellite-C855 kernel: [ 2012.718545] alx 0000:01:00.0: eth0: NIC Link Down
    Mar 26 13:35:19 nate-Satellite-C855 NetworkManager[792]: <info> (eth0): carrier now OFF (device state 100, deferring action for 4 seconds)
    Mar 26 13:35:24 nate-Satellite-C855 NetworkManager[792]: <info> (eth0): device state change: activated -> unavailable (reason 'carrier-changed') [100 20 40]
    What did
    Code:
    do? Just check the /var/log/syslog file? And pastebin was just to reduce the room of the huge output??

Beans
    Distro

I can't find anything on pinning the kernel. Could you run me through how to do this, please?

Beans
    Hidden!

See community/AptGet/Howto#Maintenance_commands, specifically #9. Basically, what you might need is
    Code:
    echo linux-image-`uname -r` hold|sudo dpkg --set-selections
    You can manage it from synaptic, too.

Please don't confuse it with APT pinning which is also described at community/PinningHowto: it's a completely different beast and is usually used when mixing packages from several releases.
    Last edited by schragge; March 27th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

I'm glad that your wireless is working

What did

Code:
    do? Just check the /var/log/syslog file? And pastebin was just to reduce the room of the huge output??
    That above command will grep the file /var/log/syslog looking for the word hangcheck.

When it find the first match (-m 1) it will print that line and 5 lines before and 5 lines after (-C5).

I just wanted to check the error you getting and the surrounding lines.

The reason why i said to not bother with pastebin is because it will only print a small number of lines (11 in this case) and they would have been easy to copy and paste into a post.

To pin your kernel look at

Code:
    sudo apt-mark hold linux-image
    or

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove linux-image
    They should both stop automatic kernel updates.

EDIT:

Beaten to it by schragge That'll teach me to start a post and get a coffee midway.

The method he points out will work as well and, in-fact, apt-mark hold is just a wrapper around dpkg --set-selections. You can see this in the man pages.

Good call schragge. Nice link as well.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 27th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast