Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tons of error reports, hang-ups, failing repositories all since I last updated...

Beans

Re: Tons of error reports, hang-ups, failing repositories all since I last updated...

WIFI Issue is fixed, also posted a separate question on it, but ended up finding answer myself:

OK folks, after a lot of searching and trial and error, the best result that I found was at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...x#Known_Issues. I did this, wondered why it wouldn't work, but then realised at the last moment that after the upgrade that I had put the password in incorrectly...so all is working now.

As per the advise on the known bug thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2073060&page=7 I also added the PPAs x-swat and ppa glasen/intel-drivers and it seems that I have had no hangs now for the last 12 hours at least. Not sure on the black screen though, will report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Tons of error reports, hang-ups, failing repositories all since I last updated...

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post

Use one of the kernels from here

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

At least we know that updating the kernel seems to fix the GPU hang issues.

How is your wireless behaving ? Any other issues besides the resume issue ?

Kind regards
    So how do I use one of those kernels? Just follow the same guide and use the filename from those guys instead of the file name they gave me in the article?

And my wireless is a bit crazy. I constantly have to switch between the different networks on campus and my ethernet connection is not being recognized. Those are the big issues. No other one's so far...

Beans

Hello, I also have been having issues with this. I followed the steps all the way up to installing the wrong kernal. I think it's an older kernel? 3.8.1?
    So, I'm with vader on this, not sure exactly how to go about it. It was using wget in his link and downloaded 4 files. 2 linux-headers-3.8.1, and 2 of the linux-image-extra-3.8.1. I assume when I click your link, I'll need to download both of each of those file sets for the latest kernel? I haven't had any of these annoying hangs since switching it.
    Last edited by Slixt; April 1st, 2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: duplicate in sentence

Beans

Which kernel did you install? I did the librariangeek website one and it seems that I am going just fine atm.

Beans

I installed the same one it worked fine for me too. I just wasn't sure if having an older or different kernel would somehow blindside me later with complications.

Beans

I may have spoken too soon. Rebooted and was met with this all too familiar box stating the system detected an error.

Beans

The result of grep -m1 -iC5 "hangcheck" /var/log/syslog for my system.

Code:
    Mar 31 21:45:02 slixt-Satellite-L755 AptDaemon.PackageKit: INFO: Get updates()
    Mar 31 21:45:03 slixt-Satellite-L755 AptDaemon.Worker: INFO: Finished transaction /org/debian/apt/transaction/07820a4eed0a42f79fd580bd15a186c3
    Mar 31 21:48:35 slixt-Satellite-L755 kernel: [  326.465433] type=1400 audit(1364780915.517:31): apparmor="DENIED" operation="capable" parent=1 profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd" pid=932 comm="cupsd" pid=932 comm="cupsd" capability=36  capname="block_suspend"
    Mar 31 21:51:00 slixt-Satellite-L755 AptDaemon: INFO: Quitting due to inactivity
    Mar 31 21:51:00 slixt-Satellite-L755 AptDaemon: INFO: Quitting was requested
    Mar 31 22:07:42 slixt-Satellite-L755 kernel: [ 1473.134270] [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
    Mar 31 22:07:42 slixt-Satellite-L755 kernel: [ 1473.134276] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
    Mar 31 22:07:42 slixt-Satellite-L755 kernel: [ 1473.454197] atl1c 0000:03:00.0: vpd r/w failed.  This is likely a firmware bug on this device.  Contact the card vendor for a firmware update.
    Mar 31 22:07:43 slixt-Satellite-L755 kernel: [ 1473.582153] atl1c 0000:03:00.0: vpd r/w failed.  This is likely a firmware bug on this device.  Contact the card vendor for a firmware update.
    Mar 31 22:07:45 slixt-Satellite-L755 gnome-session[1679]: WARNING: App 'compiz.desktop' respawning too quickly
    Mar 31 22:07:45 slixt-Satellite-L755 gnome-session[1679]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry....
    EDIT: I'm also now finding the wireless issues. It drops wireless every 50 seconds it seems.
    Last edited by Slixt; April 1st, 2013 at 04:25 AM.

Beans

Hey again,

@slixt - check out the above fix on the wifi, you may have some luck with that. That is if you have the same hardware...

@vadertater - have you had any luck with the new errors that you are getting, or working out how to get that kernel working, I got the same 'non authentic kernel' notice as well today.

Other issue is failure to resume after closing the lid, are you guys having this issue? If so, do you know of any fix?

Beans

Honestly, I just stripped out ubuntu for the billionth time and did what I could have to begin with. Reinstalled the 32bit version cause 64bit seemed to be acting weird from install anyways, and closed update manager. That's where all of the issues come from and from there I can look into which of the 362 updates were causing it. It works fine like this. So, probably no serious reason I absolutely must update and break it.

Edit: updated all but the kernel stuff. Seems to work fine, so I pinned the kernel as mentioned here before so that hopefully it can't be accidentally updated until i'm ready to with one that won't seem to break my wireless. Also, some of it seemed to be actually ubuntu's firefox extensions causing what looks like my wifi is goofing. It would hang a bit and take ages to load a page that takes 2 seconds and grey the window out. So, disabling them brought it back up to how it should be. Finally! Thanks for all the help you guys.
    Last edited by Slixt; April 3rd, 2013 at 03:44 AM.

Beans

Hey there,
    I'm a absolute noob to Ubuntu, i've just played around with it the since 2 weeks... i faced the problem that both of my graphiccards (ATI 6490m and Intel HD 3000) were running at the same time. This resulted in ernomous overheating, so I decided to disable the ATI and run Ubuntu with the integrated one, what is ok, cause of battery saving and i wont use any intense graphics anyway. So now the laptop wont get hot anymore and the fans aren't going wild all the time. But now I receive these above mentioned apport errors, freezes, lacks, and so on.
    can u please discribe the step by step moves what to do for a dummy like me.
    I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 in an HP Probook 4530s.

thanks in advance+
    Marc

Edit: another bug appeared after waking up from suspend the computer start but the screen keeps black. any suggestions?
    Last edited by Marc1988; April 3rd, 2013 at 06:29 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567