Thread: Has anyone here used Matriux Krypton?

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Has anyone here used Matriux Krypton?

Matriux Krypton is an operating system similar to Backtrack. (For penetration testing and hacking etc.) I have used backtrack, but I haven't tried Matriux yet. I am thinking of trying it, but I would like some recounts from you guys.

Is it better or worse than Backtrack?

Pros & Cons?

(I would go more in-depth with this thread, but I am in class right now and couldn't spend much time on it. I do apologise.)
    Last edited by Moose; March 20th, 2013 at 12:33 AM.

Beans

Re: Has anyone here used Matriux Krypton?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Matriux Krypton is an operating system similar to Backtrack. (For penetration testing and hacking etc.) I have used backtrack, but I haven't tried Matriux yet. I am thinking of trying it, but I would like some recounts from you guys.

Is it better or worse than Backtrack?

Pros & Cons?

(I would go more in-depth with this thread, but I am in class right now and couldn't spend much time on it. I do apologise.)
    A pen testing distro is just a toolkit, they are for pen testers, if you arent one it is unlikely to make any difference which one you use for testing or playing.

If you are a pen-tester than you will use the one you prefer, as to why you would prefer it is a personal thing.

BT which is now Kali-Linux is the industry standard and most recognised within the security industry, i use the word 'standard' loosely.

Use what you like, NMAP, Metasploit, Netcat etc etc all work the same whether you use BT, Matriux or install into Ubuntu, Mint, fedora, Suse etc.

They are all just toolkits.

I personally use BT (and now Kali), as it has everything I need, if i need something different i install it, i have no desire or requirement to use anything other than that from the new kids on the block which are usually from disreputable sources

A sculptor can carve with a spoon, a chisel does not a masterpiece make.
    Last edited by haqking; March 20th, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thank you for the prompt reply haqking!

I agree with you, it is basically just a matter of preference. However I was more interested in what sets Matriux apart from Backtrack. What makes it different.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Moose; March 20th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Thank you for the prompt reply haqking!

I agree with you, it is basically just a matter of preference. However I was more interested in what sets Matriux apart from Backtrack. What makes it different.
    easy, it is created by a bunch of people I have never heard of (well a small lie a couple I have)

BT and Kali is produced by Offensive Security and they along with its major contributors are well known individuals on the security circuit and in the industry for many years.

But other than that, like I said I can do the same thing whatever distro I am using, any of the tools in BT or Matriux or anything else I could install into my main distro of Fedora if i chose to, but i prefer to fire up a BT VM to do what i need, or use my BT HDD install on my laptop when working away.

The distro dont matter, it is the specific tool and the operator that does.

Using Matriux wont get you into NORAD any quicker
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013