Thread: Why is there no Universal Linux Repository?

Beans

Why is there no Universal Linux Repository?

Let Me Rephrase my Question

Aside from the fact that different Distro's use different package managers and formats for their binary's.
    Why don't we have a Single Centralized Set of Repository's, like GIT in a way.

But more like a mixture of GIT/ibiblio/AUR/Wiki.
    Filtering into individual channels ie Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/Fedora/Arch/OpenSuse...

It would make sense to have a centralized location for Collaboration/Development/Archiving Linux Software.
    Maybe we could standardize the package versions and release cycles and bug fixes across Distributions.

Is it simply too hard to implement and coordinate something like this amongst the Linux community's?

I dont think it would be to hard to do, and quite worth the effort.
    But at the same time i have no idea where i would even begin to try and orchestrate such a complex system.

Well it was just a thought i had (it happens often)

Any other thoughts on the topic?
    Last edited by cain071546; March 20th, 2013 at 04:36 AM.
    MSI 880GM-E43, Amd Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 4.0Ghz, 16Gb ADATA DDR3 1600
    Vision Tek HD 7850 OC Ghz Edition 2Gb DDR5 , OCZ ModXstream Pro 700W
    Seagate SATA 300 7200rpm 320/500Gb, WD SATA 300 10000rpm 80Gb
    Corsair A50 Heatsink, Antec 300+ Fully Painted

Beans

Re: Why is there no Universal Linux Repository?

Like git?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well the kernel does have git.

But the reason as to why not having a universal repo system is because the different distros use different packaging systems.

And because most linux software is open-source, not all package developers like the way other package developers upload their source, so they upload their code as they see fit.
    Then the various distros grab the source and repackage it as to work with their package managers.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Its like the question, "why are there different gaming systems?"

the answer to that question is because of compition. the other wants to beat he other one. that is the same here. one thinks that it is better than the other so they will try their hardest to get it to be so.

sorry, my backspace doesn't work any more

Beans

Basically, this thing people call "Linux" is not a thing. It's many independent things made by independent organizations with their own individual goals that just happens to share some common components and architecture.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by cain071546 View Post
    Is it simply too hard to implement and coordinate something like this amongst the Linux community's?
    Yep. As you point out, they all use different formats and package managers. Besides, why would the distros do this? The ability to maintain their own patches is one of the main reasons distros exist.

You could say that standardising anything would simplify things. Manufacturing only type of car would make a lot of sense when it came to parts, maintenance, quality control, etc. But who wants the same car as everybody else? Somewhere somebody will want something different from the standard offering, and they'll make their own car/distro with distinct features.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

PackageKit tries something along the lines from a user's perspective: http://www.packagekit.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Yep. As you point out, they all use different formats and package managers. Besides, why would the distros do this? The ability to maintain their own patches is one of the main reasons distros exist.

You could say that standardising anything would simplify things. Manufacturing only type of car would make a lot of sense when it came to parts, maintenance, quality control, etc. But who wants the same car as everybody else? Somewhere somebody will want something different from the standard offering, and they'll make their own car/distro with distinct features.
    not to mention finding your car in the parking lot
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.