Thread: Update Broke my Ubuntu :(

Beans

Unhappy Update Broke my Ubuntu :(

Ok so after successfully installing the proprietary amd catalyst drivers, i rebooted and made sure everything worked, and it did, but after updating my system using the standard Ubuntu software updater, it keeps booting into "low graphics mode" and giving me errors saying it can't detect my video card and all that caper, i'm pretty sure i saw an xorg update while it was updating and i think that may have mucked up my drivers, i'm not sure.
    Anyone know how to fix this?

I'm using Ubuntu 12.10.
    XFCE4

My Computer specs:

AMD FX8350 8 core cpu
    16GB Crucial ballistix sport at 1600mhz
    Gigabyte HD7870 OC
    Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Update Broke my Ubuntu :(

Ok so after successfully installing the proprietary amd catalyst drivers
    With that method of installing drivers, with each kernel and/or xorg update you will need to reinstall your chosen drivers.
    If you use the drivers available through Ubuntu's repositories, the drivers will get updated automagically.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Re: Update Broke my Ubuntu :(

I installed them using the package downloaded from the amd website, i fixed the problem by installing the open source drivers and was worried that the proprietary drivers would cause problems again, but now i know this i'll reinstall the proprietary ones as i found they were a bit less buggy and performed alot better.

thank you