Thread: Clonezilla, dual boot

Beans

Question Clonezilla, dual boot

I have a cloned image of my system HD made with Clonezilla which contains 3 partitions:
    1. sda1 - Win XP;
    2. sda2 - Ubuntu 12.04 x64;
    3. sda3 - swap
    I am building a new PC and want to use my existing configuration with UEFI. My current system uses Legacy boot. Here is what I propose to do on my new PC:
    1. Restore my sda2 and sda3 partitions to my new system HD using Clonezilla;
    2. Set my BIOS to Legacy;
    3. Reboot and resize my partitions;
    4. Create my /boot/efi directory;
    5. Convert my new system HD to EFI boot by running Boot-Repair;
    6. Set my BIOS to Enable UEFI;
    7. Reboot.
    I will be running XP in a Virtualbox VM which is already set up in my existing Ubuntu system. I am new to UEFI, so if anyone sees a problem with my procedure, I will appreciate you pointing it out to me. Also, please let me know if this will work. Thanks.
    Last edited by cscj01; June 26th, 2013 at 05:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Will the following work?

I don't see why not? I assume the Ubuntu partition will be / right? That's fine, just mark it bootable.
    Place the bootloader in /dev/sda. Did Windows XP really create just 1 partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Clonezilla, dual boot

Changed the title to a more informative one.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Re: Clonezilla, dual boot

Quote Originally Posted by tancrackers View Post
    I don't see why not? I assume the Ubuntu partition will be / right? That's fine, just mark it bootable.
    Place the bootloader in /dev/sda. Did Windows XP really create just 1 partition?
    Yes, Ubuntu will be /, and XP only created one partition. Another question I thought of is this: if I restore sda2 (Ubuntu) and sda3 (swap), can I reassign them as sda1 and sda2 with Gparted (or something else) since I won't be restoring sda1 (XP)? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: Clonezilla, dual boot

Quote Originally Posted by cscj01 View Post
    Yes, Ubuntu will be /, and XP only created one partition. Another question I thought of is this: if I restore sda2 (Ubuntu) and sda3 (swap), can I reassign them as sda1 and sda2 with Gparted (or something else) since I won't be restoring sda1 (XP)? Thanks.
    It depends on how you use Clonezilla. If you did a full disk image, then it's going to want to restore the entire drive. That includes the partition table and MBR.

If you save individual partitions, then it's a little more flexible. There is also an option to resize the partition on restore. It can be a little tricky, depending on the partition type and the OS in it.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0