Thread: Can't edit top panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Can't edit top panel.

Hello I'm trying to edit the top panel in unity to remove or move or add icons and edit and I've hit a snag, I tried right alt+windows key + right click on the panel and it hasn't done anything. Furthermore I can't seem to find out how to remove the "Ubuntu desktop" name from the top panel. I've looked in dconf-editor and I can't seem to find a ay to edit it, and I think you we're able to edit it in 10.10 and 11.04 but since I think 12.04 you can no longer change it. How can I change it and why has that functionality been changed/removed? [Rant] Was it because Ubuntu wants to maintain their branding, and if so that would go against the customizability that Ubuntu was marketing itself with in then beginning, I find it interesting how that is. Ubuntu is supposed to be open get canonical is locking it down with every new release and adding commercialization to it. [rant/]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't edit top panel.

As far as removing "Ubuntu Desktop" from the panel, install gnome-tweak-tool from the software center, open it, click on "Desktop" and un-check "Have file manager handle the desktop". And as far as customizing the top panel, it is not possible unless you install gnome-fallback but I have had problems with customizing the panel.
    | Corsair Carbide Series® 300R | Intel Core i5 650@3.20Ghz| OCZ-Vertex3 120 Gb SSD | Western Digital 640 Gb HDD | Western Digital 1 Tb HDD |
    |Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Extreme | Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 | Windows 10 Pro |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ok, thanks, I just heard that the tweak tool makes Ubuntu unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zestypanda View Post
    Ok, thanks, I just heard that the tweak tool makes Ubuntu unstable.
    gnome-tweak-tool is fine. The new unity tweak tool (I don't know it's name) is probably fine. I, and many others, recommend against using "ubuntu tweak".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The latest unity-tweak-tool works fine; with it you can set lot of usually hidden settings.
    Cant use gnome-tweak-tool here, its buggy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cole.mickens View Post
    gnome-tweak-tool is fine. The new unity tweak tool (I don't know it's name) is probably fine. I, and many others, recommend against using "ubuntu tweak".
    Actually, I've had no probs at all with Ubuntu Tweak. I use it as my preferred tweak tool, along with gnome-tweak-tool (because I mainly use Gnome3 not Unity).

Like any software, if you have problems with it, report it to the devs who made it so they can provide a fix, if pos. Don't just dis it.
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!