Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switching to SUSE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Switching to SUSE

I've installed and tried 12.3 and my experience was much different. Very polished, very smooth. One-click installs worked.

Dependencies will not be satisfied if their host repository is not enabled, on any Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterHam View Post
    ... So, after all that...

To install either xfce or kde on a lubuntu system, what is the procedure (commands) for a full default DE? But more than that, what extras would you recommend I install? What are the XFCE or KDE equivalents for the common tools to ubuntu/lubuntu that I should take not of?
    You can install any of the [KLX]Ubuntu flavours into another one with these command lines

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    You will get some doublet applications (also doublet menu entries), but it can be cleaned out or migrated after testing according to this link

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I've installed and tried 12.3 and my experience was much different. Very polished, very smooth. One-click installs worked.

Dependencies will not be satisfied if their host repository is not enabled, on any Linux.
    True about the dependencies and repositories.

I don't have 12.3 installed yet, but I ran 12.1, and I have 12.2 running on a couple of computers here. My impression of openSUSE is that it's one of the best distros I've ever used, a lot better than I expected it to be (I've only been running it for about a year). About as stable and dependable for me as Debian Stable and Ubuntu LTS (I run both of those, too).

Beans

Just had a quick spin on openSUSE. Seems very good and I almost started to like KDE But then I saw blue icons in the green theme. Blue and green should never be seen.

Beans

MilesRdz I already knew about the PPA and added it along with Xorg-Edgers and an upgraded kernel straight from the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel site. I'm no noob, just very picky and precise about what I want. As for SUSE, as I said, Zypper kept screwing up for me. Maybe it was the fact I was using Gnome instead of KDE, but I didn't like how broken the integration on KDE was with openSUSE. YaST2 used it's settings above the KDE settings causing all kinds of hell. On Gnome it made sense because Gnome lacks settings by design, but KDE gives you as many as it can. So there was a big rift in the settings and integration on openSUSE KDE and YaST2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12