Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live CD- Ubuntu 12.10, Ubuntu 13.04 Beta, Live USB Ubuntu 12.10- all fail to install

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Live CD- Ubuntu 12.10, Ubuntu 13.04 Beta, Live USB Ubuntu 12.10- all fail to inst

as mention by sanderj, it could be the bios, you could try reset the bios then load default setting and try memtest again.

Beans

Re: Live CD- Ubuntu 12.10, Ubuntu 13.04 Beta, Live USB Ubuntu 12.10- all fail to inst

OK- I've not messed around with the BIOS settings till now, except to change Boot Order to boot LiveCD and USB first.
    Note- (My PC is like around 5 yrs old, and has no UEFI)
    So I don't think it is the BIOS.

Anyway, maybe I'll follow your advice, and reset the BIOS to default, then try memtest again.

As for the RAM, my 1 GB RAM module is as old as the PC (it was the original RAM module), but I bought the 2 GB RAM module just last year, I think around February 2012.
    So it seems less likely that both the modules could have failed at the same time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

yep maybe Motherboard also Look for Blown Caps on motherboard. If caps are Flat there Ok if there Bulging on top there Blown Kinda like a Bulging Balloon on Top Cap.
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

could be PSU too, if the PSU cannot supply the motherboard and other hardware inside the computer, it can make system not stable.
    modern bios can show voltage value, try check it too in your bios.

Beans

Ok guys... I'll try it out.. I'll look at the motherboard and post the result.

Beans

OK... I finally succeded in installing Ubuntu. I did this by using a new 2gb RAM and my old 2gb RAM together. Both the RAMs still threw up errors in Test #7 (memtest86+), but (after nearly 10-15 crashes), I was able to install Ubuntu 12.10.

I dunno.. should I believe the test results that say my RAMs are faulty?

What do the errors in Test #7 (around 2,500,000 errors each time) mean anyway?

Should I attach a couple of images of the screen during memtest86+ ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pallath View Post
    OK... I finally succeded in installing Ubuntu. I did this by using a new 2gb RAM and my old 2gb RAM together. Both the RAMs still threw up errors in Test #7 (memtest86+), but (after nearly 10-15 crashes), I was able to install Ubuntu 12.10.

I dunno.. should I believe the test results that say my RAMs are faulty?
    Depends ... do you want the blue pill, or the red pill?

"The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are pop culture symbols representing the choice between the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue) and embracing the sometimes painful truth of reality (red)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12