Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Samba Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Question Samba Issues

Hello all. I have seem to have some Samba Issues.

I have a Ubuntu server running Samba and NFS for a few months now. NFS has been working perfectly through out but Samba doesnt want to play. I had been using Samba 3.6.3 as from install (Select the tasks), after time the server got slower and slower to a point it took 45 mins to get a 10mb file from the server to a win7 Machine. My Linux Laptop was downloading the same file in under 30 seconds.

In my eyes that has ruled out any hardware issues and the problem was pointing towards Samba. I had a look around on the servers config files etc i found no change and backed them up. After testing more and more i thought about updating to a later version of Samba. So i used

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge samba -y
    to remove samba. then i used

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get samba4 -y
    I then placed my 3 shares in the config file restarted samba and tried accessing the shares in a XP vm. When I typed in the IP address in the address bar the login box showed up so much faster than the older version of samba ever did. Impressed with the speed of it i then typed my login credentials, Didnt login. So then i went on to the server and re set the smbpasswd for that user. tried to login again, no joy. 4 & a half hours of checking conf files, checking passwords, doing Google searches, drinking coffee etc etc and still no joy.

Now i have come to the stage where i am completely stumped. .

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Samba Issues

I have also tried using a fresh smbd.conf file and a test share and i still have no luck. I have also reset the smbpasswd again just to be sure and still no luck. The client is a XP VM for testing and troubleshooting while i am trying to solve the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thread moved to Server Platforms.

You may get a better answer here.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks for moving my post. Next time ill keep this section in mind when i next need help with my server.

I do also have a quick question which may hopefully get me a bit closer to sorting this issue out.

Is there any other configuration files i may need to take a look at? This is my first time using samba 4 so i am not in the know of anything new. From my previous experience I only needed to edit smb.conf to make the shares.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am still stuck.

Been googleing and trying to get samba working again. Yet again i have found my self making a new smb.conf file from a backup of a original config file. Still will not accept any user names / passwords at all. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Have you tried setting security = share and use shares without password, just to see if it will work? You can try setting the security later.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

What kind of error message you get? From the error message we could see where the error can come from ...

Have you given the folders the rights on the groups?
    chgrp chown chmod

for easy testing try chmod 777 /folder/of/samba/share

browesable = yes
    guest ok = yes

Regards,
    Bathroth

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have just tried the guest ok = yes and it is asking me for a user name and password to get to the share. Typed in the correct info anyway and still cant get to the share. I amStill testing with a XP VM. I changed the permissions etc on the share to 777 and still Win Xp keeps asking for a user name and password to get access to the share. Again inputting the correct details for about 10 times then gave up.

browesable = yes was already added to the share in the config file.

I also added security = share and it has made no difference at all.

The only way i get a error message to appear is if i type \\192.168.1.10\test in the address bar it pops up saying

Windows can not find \\192.168.1.10\test. Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking Search.

If i try and map a network drive it keeps asking for a user name and password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hmm, with security = share there is no way to ask you for authentication. I have it running at home and access without any problems (and usernames) from win7 desktop and netbook. I'm attaching my smb.conf. The only thing I'm not sure if it plays a role is the workgroup parameter and whether the windows machine has to match it (in windows it's WORKGROUP by default anyway).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Here is my smb.conf. (Attached) The only thing i have done it is remove the comments, commented out my normal shares and put a test one in.

Can you use the hosts allowed on certain shares?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast