Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Samba Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Samba Issues

Would NFS effect the samba shares / samba its self. I have got NFS share on the same locations and it has been working fine. I decided to run samba and NFS side by side so i have got good centralized storage for everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't think so, but I might be wrong. NFS and Samba should be just fine working next to each other, that's the point. You have plenty of servers offering samba for windows machines and nfs for linux/osx machines.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have stopped the NFS service using the :

Code:
    sudo /etc/init/d/nfs-kernel-server stop
    Then re-started samba with :

Code:
    sudo service samba4 restart
    Once i done that i got the XP vm going again and i was still un-successful on getting onto the test share.

Would it be worth trying a Ubuntu Server 12.04 install with NFS and Samba 4 on it and see if it works correctly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

But that's what you have now, right? Ubuntu Server running nfs and samba4?

In any case, if you can make a VM for the server to test if samba shares on it will work fine, it could help at least to see that your thought process is OK. Just be careful about the networking options of the VM, like bridged mode, NAT, etc, because NAT mode can block some things from working as expected.
    Darko.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am waiting for all of the updates etc to come through etc. So it is as close as possible to my server setup and get and test from there.

I have the serer on bridged at this moment in time so i can get it setup then i most likely out it on internal network mode so its isolated form my actual network. Wold this be ok? I running the newest version of Virtual-box and I will make snapshots before i go playing etc etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am actually using Bridged on VBox, always, since I want the VMs to be on my LAN. You are not running any services that might interfere anyway, like dhcp server or similar. Letting it be part of your LAN makes it a clear situation networking wise.

Although, since your client XP machine is VM too, using the Internal Network might be OK, both machines will be in same private network.

But making it Bridged makes it possible to check from your host OS too (windows or linux, which ever it is). And also from other machines in your LAN. Not only the XP VM. You will have options to test shares from many more machines, even tablets etc. Imagine if all this time the problem comes from the XP VM. You never checked the share from another machine, because your VBox option is internal network, right?

Just my opinion. I would put both the server and XP VM on Bridged.
    Darko.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Now a tad concerned, I went on to the server and tried running to update process etc so both the server and the Vm are both totally up to date. Again trying to replicate my server as much as possible.

However when i run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    it then shows.
    Code:
    sudo unable to open /var/lib/sudo/(user)/0 Read Only File system
    This is totally out of the blue. Ive never done this before. I have been using sudo etc the whole time i have been trying to suss out what the problemn with samba is.

Whats going on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is it possible the root partition was mounted as read-only? Restart the VM and try again.
    Darko.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Its on my proper server. I wanted them to be updated at the same time so they both have the same packages installed so i can replicate the server as much as possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The same applies. Reboot it if you can, and see if it works after that.

You can also ask google how to check if your root is mounted read only. If there was some error that went unnoticed, the root partition might have mounted read only. Or only the mentioned folder is read only.
    Darko.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast