Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Samba Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Samba Issues

Unfortunately I'm not that good an expert for samba. I would make a copy of the original default file, and then create a new empty file putting only the options you need. It will be much smaller and easier to look at.

You can try making it open shares first and then start closing them down. In any case, that default file has loads of options, many commented out, making it even difficult to note what is active and what not.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

You still have that error?

If yes please tell us about the errorcode or errormessage you get inside of Windows for that we can help you. Because 'an' error can be caused by many stuffs!

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One other consideration is whether you even need to use Samba. I was having difficulty connecting from Windows to a Samba share on my 12.10 installation. So I removed the share from Samba and tried the Nautilus share option (presuming I would get a better error message), and lo and behold Windows suddenly had no trouble connecting. As with the Samba I would try it first as an "open" share and then apply security.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ill try making a blank file see if it start working again. I am guessing you can go ultra basic on the config to only the workgroup its in and the share options.

I cant really get a error message out of the Xp VM. You keep typing the correct user name and password in but it wont map the network drive nor go to the share. On the main pc's where they have mapped network drives they keep asking for a username and password. Again put it correct details in and still cant get to the server. No matter how many time you type in the user name or password it does nothing.

As about 1/2 of the Pc's are Windows it would be nice to get access to the network drives again. All of the Linux machines use NFS to get to the server and has been working flawlessly.

The server is a Ubuntu sderver INstall so no GUI etc.
    Last edited by chrisbarnes1992; March 27th, 2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Forgotto say it is a full ubuntu server.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wll i have just tried a very basic smb.conf/ Attached screenshot to of how basic.

Still cant get to the files on the server. Windows keeps asking for a user name and password still. Even though guest is allowed it still wants a user and password.

No matter how many times is put the correct details in it will not show any messages. This is about 5 mins of typing in the correct username and password non stop.

Does samba keep any log files somewhere? I have never needed to look into this before with samba. Over the years i have ran many Ubuntu File servers and never came across this issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is the workgroup on the windows machine WORKGROUP?

Are the linux permissions of /mnt/ss set to allow access? The linux filesystem keeps separate permissions from samba. Try after executing this:
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+rw /mnt/ss
    That will give RW to all.
    Darko.

Beans

Something to consider:

Still cant get to the files on the server. Windows keeps asking for a user name and password still. Even though guest is allowed it still wants a user and password.
    Unlike a Linux Samba client a Windows smb client passes the current user's local login user name and password automatically - even with a guest share. If you have the same user name on the Linux server but have given him a samba password that differs from the Windows local password it will prompt you for credentials.

Either make the passwords match exactly or since you only have a guest share remove the windows user from the samba password database entirely:
    Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -x windows-user-name

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

darkod mentioned and made no differnce. Still not access.

I changed the permissions from darkod's suggestion and no luck.

I also removed the user from database ising the command Morbios1 posted and tried getting onto the test share again. It still pops up wanting a user name and password. I tried the servers local user name and password and nothing apart a box to enter the user name and password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Did you restart samba after changing the smb.conf? Or restart the server?

There is not much to it, with the latest smb.conf you posted it should work. Or you have another problem somewhere else. Firewall?
    Darko.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Reset Samba. At the time my laptop was backing up etc so i left it alone.

However when it was done i re booted the server and is no different.

there is no firewall on the server as well.
    Last edited by chrisbarnes1992; March 27th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast