Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Mir vs. Wayland & effect on Linux "Ecosystem"?

Beans

Re: Mir vs. Wayland & effect on Linux "Ecosystem"?

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Changing plans wasn't lying, but spreading falsehoods about Wayland was. They later apologized, but I'm still seeing the same memes floating around as if they were fact.
    What's the point of appoligizing if they don't do anything about it? Just because you can say sorry doesn't make it right, especially if you still go ahead and do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold1995 View Post
    What's the point of appoligizing if they don't do anything about it? Just because you can say sorry doesn't make it right, especially if you still go ahead and do it.
    About what? Not starting on the Mir project. Doesn't make sense. Done is done, apology is given. People need to start to move on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    About what? Not starting on the Mir project. Doesn't make sense. Done is done, apology is given. People need to start to move on.
    But they're continuing to work on Mir and are continuing their plans after lying about Wayland to everyone, that's the whole point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold1995 View Post
    But they're continuing to work on Mir and are continuing their plans after lying about Wayland to everyone, that's the whole point.
    and....?

It's common in the linux world if you're unhappy with something you fork or make your own stuff for whatever reasons.

Beans

and....?

It's common in the linux world if you're unhappy with something you fork or make your own stuff for whatever reasons.
    There's nothing wrong with forking something or creating something, it's HOW they did it, how they severely messed up plans for OTHER distros to use Wayland as well, jeopardizing distros like Kubuntu and damaging chances that Wayland will have a working Nvidia driver (which both them and Nvidia had lied about, all the while working on their OWN project behind closed doors).

And it wasn't just a "mistake" either, so appologizing and moving on is not fixing the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

They can't "unHow" it. So what you prefer? Tarring and feathering? Public lynchings? Honor suicides? Burn all Mir builds and fire the developers? Ubuntu cease to exist? Pinin' for the fjords?

Or maybe you can actually make a positive contribution on your own account to whatefer you think the right solution is? Otherwise, you just seem to be drinking the cup of bitterness and savoring the flavor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

the effect it had on me: i love the flexibility of gnome-shell and i don't use any ubuntu specific developments at all. so my consequence was: goodbye ubuntu. i moved to arch on my main computer, it is great, my other computers will follow.

Beans

The mir stuff didn't push me from Ubuntu, but if I was still using kubuntu it would've, and not just because KDE says they won't support mir. It's ridiculous how insular ubuntu is becoming.

Oh, and by the way, steam is not ubuntu only. I have steam working perfectly fine on fedora 18.

Beans

and....?

Why "and..?"? Does it not concern you that the upstream developers would lie or mislead the community with respects to development? Not at all? Not even with a public apology / admission of guilt? I do not understand your position clearly I don't think. Mir / Wayland / foobarbaz doesn't matter. Not the point. At least that's not how I took the comment that was responded to.

On to the original topic: Reading the motivation behind Mir reasons on the wiki Mir/Spec it seems like Mir would be something that would help out more for mobile platforms to me. If that's it then it makes enough sense I guess. I can't imagine it making any huge difference for my use case either way though since I don't run Ubuntu or keep up with the newest commercial/closed applications and games and steam and stuff. My opinion is that a more collaborated effort would have a more beneficial "effect on Linux "Ecosystem"". As far as I can tell Mir source code is up on launchpad either way. If they do something truly great I don't see why wayland couldn't use some of the codebase if they wanted to or take a look at it at least. So, in that respect it may not be so bad for the ecosystem. But, I still think it's more bad than good at this point (I admit I still know little about the mir / wayland thing from a technical standpoint (no shortage of opinionated articles to read on the internet though I'm sure)). Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dodo3773 View Post
    Does it not concern you that the upstream developers would lie or mislead the community with respects to development? Not at all?
    I don't think people are to worried about things like lying & ethics, just the way people are.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast