Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partition for Saving My Data?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Partition for Saving My Data?

Quote Originally Posted by jayaq32 View Post
    So currently, "/home" is mounted to my sdb partition. Is that anywhere near equal to having say the "My Documents" directory in Windows XP target set to a 'storage' partition (i.e. "D: drive")? If so, that's what I am trying to accomplish. Obviously, I am coming from Windows where "c: drive" was the bootable OS and "d: drive" is where I put all of my Data (i.e. downloads, music, docs, etc.). I can't tell you how many times Windows went to #*&@! and I was soo relieved that my data was on a separate drive/partition. This meant I could wipe the Windows OS on "c: drive" and re-install without ever worrying about my data.
    yeah /home is sort of the same as My Documents. if you enable hidden files you will see that there is plenty of folders there which are configuration files for your applicaitons. the upgrade is doen by backip up /home (just in case) and then reinstalling the os to /. os will reinstall (or you can format and install new version there) while /home will not be touched.

you have setup the disks as i would like to have them setup. but no money to create the raid.

otherwise you could have installed / and /home to first disk and then cretae a data disk which would then be completely separate. no system files would be there. which is how i have it now where a small old disk is for OS+home+swam and big disk is there for data.

anyway i would keep it as you have it. most applicaitons store to home by default and when you want to open something they will offer home. so that will save you some setting up. besides the /home is ment for user's data.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are many way to do this, I'm sure

what works for me as it's based on Mythbuntu and it's that box that does the sharing as well as TV around the house.

This box has a fixed IP, so we don't lose it, google that for your setup.

My the system is held on a 32Gb SSD on a sata cable mounted "/" so the normal folder structure is here including /Home

The other sata drives are mounted at boot by the system and they appear here /media/store etc

I don't use RAID just single drives, but I believe they act as 1 drive?

if you just plug a drive in a sata socket on the motherboard it will not be mounted, you have to find it here /dev/disk/by-uuid, so note the contents before adding the drive then shutdown power off, add drive, power on and look in folder for the new drive, note the new uuid
    make a partition (not bootable) and format the drives to ext4 or whatever, note if you want to use NFTS then make sure you
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
    before you start ( I don't know your flavour of ubuntu).

*OR* skip all that and use the Disk Utility app, with this you can create the partition, format it and give the uuid number

then
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    or mousepad or nano or whatever

here is mine
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=a642cc20-2157-4e48-ad6c-1be3460ec138 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=93bf7305-2fd8-4693-acf7-393b3240df3a none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
    UUID=d151f967-4d72-45ee-aab3-f6c3d2dc86d2 /media/1Tb auto auto,user,rw,exec 0 0
    UUID=73ca5900-af74-4cd1-a27d-fa1f4b0c0ae1 /media/store auto auto,user,rw,exec 0 0
    UUID=f9914fdf-690d-4054-be45-1d0d5f5088ac /media/Store2 auto auto,user,rw,exec 0 0
    UUID=8973fd63-a792-47f1-a31c-ddd0931e9a78 /media/store3 auto auto,user,rw,exec 0 0
    The bottom 4 lines are what I have added and 1Tb is a USB external drive ( the boot will hang waiting for user input if this drive is not here, like powered off after a power out)
    note the uuid=, then the path and the type of mount, which is explained in more detail on one of the link provided by Bashing-om

The path bit /media/store etc are folders created in /media and act as access point to the drives, you can call them what you like eg. /media/fred

after you have found your drives uuid's and added it, you can test the fstab before reboot to check for errors with
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    make folders on your new drives at /media/store/my stuff for sharing
    set the permissions as I explained earlier
    I used the share folders app to create the shares, either reboot after or restart the services to start the shares.

now from a windows machine (samba share)
    browse the network, find your new server and the folder that you shared and enter it.
    Then map the drive as Z:\ or whatever and windows treats this as another drive on it's system.

From another linux machine,(NFS share) create a folder in /Home/yourname/Music1 as an access point to the shared drive on the server then
    in a terminal
    Code:
    sudo  mount 192.168.1.100:/media/Store2/Music /home/yourname/Music1
    change the IP address and yourname to suit

now by going to /Home/Music1 your on the shared drive, here the permissions need to be correct so you can see/read/write/create files.

Hope this helps explain it more clearly.
    Last edited by AlecJ; March 20th, 2013 at 11:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

jayaq32;

Here is another option.
    I have set up my data harddrive as on demand; I feel that my data is more secure if the disk is not mounted 'till I want to access the data.
    All my systems are 'buntu's of some flavor thus my disk are formatted to ext4.
    I made a mount point in the /mnt directory:
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/data
    and I explicitly mount the device:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/data
    sdb1 = my second drive and the 1st partition on that drive.
    I insure only I have access to my data:
    Code:
    sudo chown your-user-name:your-user-name /mnt/data/<desired_directories>
    Remember (tie a string around your finger) that the device MUST be (un)mounted when access is no longer needed and prior to logging off or shutting the system down. Failure to do so can result in filesystem corruption. In the linux file system disk writes are cached; the cache is not written to the device 'till the device is (un)mounted.

Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/data

ubuntu is just wonderfull

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I realize this thread is almost a year old, but I wanted to make a note that would have saved me a lot of time. when entering the auto,user,rw,exec above to AlecJ's post of his "fstab" file don't put spaces after the comas
    Last edited by purza; February 9th, 2014 at 05:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12