Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition for Saving My Data?

Beans

Partition for Saving My Data?

Noob here. So I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop (64-Bit) and need some guidance on how to access my partitions. When I was using Windows, I always had at least 1 drive or array for the OS install and dedicated additional drives/arrays for my data.

My current setup: I have a total of 3 drives: x1 drive configured as RAID0 and x2 drives configured as RAID1. This is a Gateway system with an internal RAID card. During Ubuntu 12.04 installation, the array's showed up nicely. I configured the partitions manually where the RAID0 array (even though it is 1 drive) as a boot partition with a dedicated swap area. Next, I configured the RAID1 array as EXT4 and and would like to use it for storage.

I've installed Gparted and the arrays show up as:

/dev/sda

/dev/sda1 = ext4
    Mount point = /
    /dev/ sda2 = extended
    sda5 = unknown

/dev/sdb

/dev/sdb1 = ext4
    Mount point = /home

When I look under "/home" for the "storage" partition, I don't see any indication of "sdb1" which I'd like to use as storage. I know this is a total noob thing but how do I access this partition to save my files? In Windows, I was able to go to My Computer and access the Drive letter.

Did I configure/setup correctly?

Any guidance would be helpful! Thank you for the patience and understanding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Partition for Saving My Data?

If you have mounted sdb1 as your /home directory (which is what gparted is saying) then anything that is saved in this directory (which is all of your user data) will be on your sdb1 partition.

Linux is unlike Windows in that there is only one filesystem structure. In Windows different partitions show up as different physical drives, whereas in Linux all mounted partitions appear in the same directory tree. Your /home directory is your sdb1 partition.

To make sure that everything is as it should be there are a couple of commands you could use. The mount command will give you a list of all filesystems that are mounted on your system, you should see a line similar to...
    Code:
    /dev/sdb1 on /home type ext4 (rw)
    Another command you can use is df, if you type 'df -h' into a terminal it will give you a rundown of the mounted filesystems and their usage.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Install Samba for sharing with windows https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba
    Install NFS for sharing with linux https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

look under /media/ for the mounted drives
    create folders you with to share on the drive you wish and add the path to the config files for SMB or NFS
    There is a GUI share program called Share Folders that makes life easy, if it's not in the menus find it /usr/share/applications/
    Don't forget to set the permissions on the folders, mine are all owned by me and group messagebus has access.
    I still have to issue a chmod -R 777 /media/store1/Videos/*.* after windows has been ripping dvds here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    If you have mounted sdb1 as your /home directory (which is what gparted is saying) then anything that is saved in this directory (which is all of your user data) will be on your sdb1 partition.

Linux is unlike Windows in that there is only one filesystem structure. In Windows different partitions show up as different physical drives, whereas in Linux all mounted partitions appear in the same directory tree. Your /home directory is your sdb1 partition.

To make sure that everything is as it should be there are a couple of commands you could use. The mount command will give you a list of all filesystems that are mounted on your system, you should see a line similar to...
    Code:
    /dev/sdb1 on /home type ext4 (rw)
    Another command you can use is df, if you type 'df -h' into a terminal it will give you a rundown of the mounted filesystems and their usage.
    I see! I chose "/home" during the partitioning b/c I thought that's where I could access an icon of the drive/partition (as in Windows). What would have been the correct way to setup the "storage" partition during installation so that it is empty? I noticed that "/home" uses about 350mb of space on the partition to store the /home files. Is there a way to change the configuration so I could set everything up as close to how I had Windows setup? I want the RAID1 (array aka sdb1) to be the sole place I save my files and I only want my files within that partition.

So essentially, what I want to do is have the OS on one physical drive and my data/files on another set of physical drive(s) that utilizes RAID redundancy. What is the best way to accomplish this in Ubuntu?

I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on one drive (sda) and the sdb1 partition is allocated but it is mounted to "/home" - how do I change this? How was I supposed to set this up originally during installation? Was I supposed to specify "/" as the mount point? Or not specify anything? Or..?
    Last edited by jayaq32; March 19th, 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So you have 3 drives?
    1 for the system and 2 for the raid that will be one drive so to speak?

I use 1 32Gb SSD to hold the system /dev/sdc1 mount point /
    and 3 sata drives and 1 USB drive
    /dev/sda mount point /media/store2
    /dev/sdb mount point /media/store
    /dev/sdd mount point /media/store3
    /dev/sde mount point /media/1Tb USB drive

making 6Tb for storage and shares over the drives

The drives are mounted at boot with /etc/fstab using UUID
    I can post this if it will help you

the shares are folders on each drive and the paths are /media/store/Music
    /media/store/Videos etc
    but you can share the whole drive if you like.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

jayaq32; Hi !

Be advised when you get into partitioning and raid ----you are jumping into deeper waters than at the "noob" level. All to the good.
    May I suggest a bit of reading to understand what you are attempting. Very much so doable.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NewDocs

This is the latest compilation of all things ubuntu - Thanks to BlinkingCat and others -In this page is a search box in the upper right corner; Enter the term "raid" (with out the quotes) -> many results --read to your heart's content, Then do the same for "partitioning".

Now ask any question on here, there are no dumb questions when one is making an effort to learn.

this will help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    The drives are mounted at boot with /etc/fstab using UUID
    Thank you for the insight! As quoted above...could you explain this in a bit more detail? I don't quite understand what is meant particularly "UUID" and "fstab." During installation, I determined the array/partition to install Ubuntu (sda) together with a swap area. I believe I chose "/" as the mount point b/c when I tried to proceed with install I was given a warning that (paraphrasing) "no boot drive was specified" - so I chose "/" from the "add or change" option and everything was fine. Then with the 'storage' array (sdb) I chose "ext4" as the type and mounted it to "/home" where subsequently, the "home" files are now stored. I am curious what I should have chosen as the 'mount point' for sdb so that it is accessible to me as an 'empty' partition to store my files into? And, is there a way after install to re-configure this in Ubuntu so that sbd is no longer associated/mounted to "/home" directory?
    Last edited by jayaq32; March 20th, 2013 at 01:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is not bad to have your /home directory on a separate partition, it makes reinstalls and upgrades easier.
    You could boot from a live dvd/usb and with gparted reduce the size of your /home part. and then use that space as a separate data partition.
    Just giving you options.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    It is not bad to have your /home directory on a separate partition, it makes reinstalls and upgrades easier.
    You could boot from a live dvd/usb and with gparted reduce the size of your /home part. and then use that space as a separate data partition.
    Just giving you options.
    So currently, "/home" is mounted to my sdb partition. Is that anywhere near equal to having say the "My Documents" directory in Windows XP target set to a 'storage' partition (i.e. "D: drive")? If so, that's what I am trying to accomplish. Obviously, I am coming from Windows where "c: drive" was the bootable OS and "d: drive" is where I put all of my Data (i.e. downloads, music, docs, etc.). I can't tell you how many times Windows went to #*&@! and I was soo relieved that my data was on a separate drive/partition. This meant I could wipe the Windows OS on "c: drive" and re-install without ever worrying about my data.

Again, I just want the OS separate from my Data. And, if the OS goes wonky or say a meteor is about to drop onto my town and I have 15 mins to evac, I could pull out the actual HDD's with my Data and get running (OS drive be damned).

Is "/home" the directory to mount to my data array/partition? Or is there a more optimal way to configure this???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast