Thread: ipod 4G touch on slackware 13.1

Beans

ipod 4G touch on slackware 13.1

I have recently purchased an ipod touch 4g and i am trying to sync it with my laptop running on slackware 13.1.

So i looked around these links http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1567271 and http://everydaylht.com/howtos/deskto...ouch-on-linux/

and downloaded

libimobiledevice-1.0.4.tar.bz2
    ifuse-1.1.1.tar.bz2
    libplist-1.3.tar.bz2
    usbmuxd-1.0.6.tar.bz2

I have created slackware packages using src2pkg and installed them on my system.
    But when i do ifuse /media/ipod it gives an error

usbmuxd_get_device_list: error opening socket!
    No device found, is it connected?
    If it is make sure that your user has permissions to access the raw usb device.
    If you're still having issues try unplugging the device and reconnecting it.
    i am using root account while doing this.

when i do a lsusb | grep Apple it shows

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 05ac:129e Apple, Inc.
    So can anybody point out what i am doing wrong

thanks

Beans

Re: ipod 4G touch on slackware 13.1

I have them same question! Please help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Beans

@oldos2er

Thanks for the reply. I have read about the same problem with ubuntu users too so that is why i posted it over here hoping that someone may answer it. Anyways i had already posted it over there in the hardware section

@bls0n

Have you seen this http://libiphone.lighthouseapp.com/p...g-not-detected

kerdosa updated this ticket at October 24th, 2010 @ 05:28 AM

This is a very simple problem. Ipod touch 4g has idProduct 0x129e. Current usbmuxd has max idProduct 0x129a. It means usbmuxd will ignore any ixxx device with idProduct 0x129a or higher. Just change this to 0x129f, then re-compile usbmuxd. Everything is working OK.

Modify two places:
    1. In daemon/usb.h, change #define PID_RANGE_MAX 0x129a to #define PID_RANGE_MAX 0x129f. Recompile usbmuxd with cmake, install it.
    2. Modify udev rules to recongize ipod touch 4g. In /lib/udev/rules.d/85-usbmuxd.rules, change ATTR{idProduct}=="129[0-9a]" to ATTR{idProduct}=="129[0-9ae]". Restart udev by "sudo restart udev".

Just plug in ipod touch 4g, enjoy it!
    You can get the usbmuxd package here:
    http://marcansoft.com/uploads/usbmux...-1.0.5.tar.bz2

You need cmake and libusb-dev
    It is not working for me as i am already using usbmuxd-1.0.6.tar.bz2 but you can try it might work on your system if you are using an older version

Beans

So i have managed to solve this, just posting it here for others.

After installing all the files mentioned above, make sure you have created the usbmux user as specified in usbmuxd. Now do
    mkdir ~/ipod
    This is the mount point for your ipod.

Then as root type
    usbmuxd
    This was the problem in my case it may or may not be for you, try this if you are facing problem while mounting the ipod. Now to mount the ipod
    ifuse ~/ipod
    and for unmounting
    fusermount ~/ipod
    This will give access to your ipods file system. I am still unable to sync my ipod with gtkpod though. If anyone knows how to sync please let me know

Beans

I had a similar problem. To get gtkpod to work, I had to mount the iphone and then tell gtkpod where it was mounted - NOT the ~/.gtkpod folder. I can manage playlists and podcasts, but can no longer manage photos since moving to KDE (4.6) - don't know if that's related.

I mounted my iphone to ~/.mount/iphone and set that path in the gtkpod settings under mountpoint then loaded the iphone.

Beans

Well i am doing the same thing. I have mounted my ipod at ~/ipod. I can see all my files in gtkpod but whatever changes i do are not shown in my ipod.

How do you sync your music ?

Beans

Yes, usbmuxd looks like it's the problem. If fact, the problem is with systemd. Usbmuxd mus be mounted as root. The ols SysV init did that allright, but systemd does not like it and KILL usbmuxd. If you run it manually as root, everything works.

Beans

And you can't sync music. Apple crypto thing will not let you. You NEED iTunes to do that, so you need a Virtual Machine with WinXP just to sync your music.

But for that to work, the issue with usbmuxd/systemd must be solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Old thread closed.