Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loading Ubuntu OS

Beans

loading Ubuntu OS

Is there a program that would load Ubuntu with one click? I have problems with 13.04. I have tried to make a DVD and USB thumb drive. I can creat both but neither one works. I like Ubuntu except for getting loaded. I have a laptop running 12.10 and a desktop running 10.04. I don't have a clear understanding to why I have to creat a disk. It seems there is something easy that I'm doing wrong.

Beans

Re: loading Ubuntu OS

Firstly, unless you are experienced with Ubuntu, I would not recommend that you use 13.04 as it hasn't been released yet. Rather stick with stable installations, as they are less likely to give you problems.

Can you describe the nature of the problem with booting to USB or CD. Are you able to successfully write?
    I would recommend that you use unetbootin to create a flash disk:
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Also I would recommend you format it first to fat32.

Also, make sure your bios enables you to boot to USB first.

As far as I know, there is no one-click to install Ubuntu, as it is a full operating system, and can't be run as an app from within windows.

What you could try is to download Virtualbox and install it as a Virtual Machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You could update 12.10 to 13.04 in place via

Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    The -d tells it to consider dev releases which 13.04 still is at this point. Be warned it will take quite a while as all your installed packages will get upgraded. Remember that 13.04 is intended for testing purposes only until it is officially released.

10.04 can be upgraded in place to 12.04 (LTS to LTS) using the GUI update manager and you probably want to do it before 10.04 desktop support runs out in April.

Beans

when I click on the wubi.exe icon I get an error message from the archive manager.

Beans

Hi dozoclown - are you having problems getting Ubuntu to boot at all? Is the PC you're trying to install on quite new? Came with Windows 8? If so, it might be a UEFI/SecureBoot issue.

If it looks like this might be the case, it's a tough one to get around. The only way I was able to load any Linux distro on my new laptop was by disabling SecureBoot in BIOS (UEFI).

Let me know if I'm barking up the right tree, and I'll try to offer some further help. Even better, you might get advice from someone who has real expertise in this area!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

WUBI Installer runs and installs Ubuntu within Windows as any other Winodows program would. It is not a recommended way to install Ubuntu. If you want my advice, then don't use WUBI instead use your Ubuntu LiveCD/DVD/USB to "TRY UBUNTU". Install Ubuntu to dual-boot when you are ready.

The problem you are having could be a bad download of ubuntu.iso image. Check the integrity of the downloaded ubuntu.iso with MD5Sum Check. If the test fails then re-download Ubuntu, preferably via bit torrent. Then burn it to the media using appropriate and recommended tool.

I personally, prefer CLEAN INSTALL to version upgrades. Upgrades are often not without issues and not to mention time consuming.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Secureboot on Win8 can be overidden by your computer's BIOS. Wait for your boot splash screen to appear (before Windows 8 starts) You might have to try a few times but you need to keep trying until you can access your BIOS and change your boot sequence. If you are talking about using auto login (starting ubuntu without entering your password), you can still do this by adjusting your settings in system tools==>settings==>All settings==> user settings and clicking on the enable autologin button. Best wishes.

Beans

if you are installing with wubi.exe, and are getting the archiving error, try disabling your firewall or your entire anti-virus software. Worked for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu +1 (Raring Ringtail).

There are known issues with 13.04 Wubi. 13.04 is not a good place to start unless you are into testing and reporting issues/bugs to help devs. I would consider 12.04 LTS and perhaps a dual-boot (Wubi can be problematic anyway and is not intended as a permanent solution, more to test and see if you like before installing Ubuntu but you can check it out and see if things are working from the regular Ubuntu install disk anyhow). Good luck.

Beans

It's a older pc (x60 lenovo tablet laptop). I just wanted to try Raring since it was new. I'm just going to wait untill Raring has been out longer!!!
    Last edited by dozoclown; March 19th, 2013 at 02:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast