Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: latest MBP 9,1 (non-Retina) won't boot 12.04 CD or USB

Beans

Cool latest MBP 9,1 (non-Retina) won't boot 12.04 CD or USB

I've run Kubuntu dual-boot on a desktop PC for years. I have a new 15-inch MacBook Pro: model 9,1 (not the Retina), and want to run 12.04 on it. I followed the LifeHacker guide and installed rEFIt (latest version 0.14 is 2.5 years old..?) and resized to add Windows and Linux root/home/swap partitions.

I haven't installed Windows yet. I went straight to booting a Kubuntu 12.04 .iso, and into a brick wall . I've put first the amd64 and then amd64+Mac desktop CD .iso on USB flash drive with usb-creator, I've burned the amd64+Mac to CD, I've booted with one or the other or both CD and USB inserted, and whether I boot from rEFIt or holding down the option key, or holding down the 'c' key for CD-ROM boot, I always wind up at a dark gray screen showing "Boot error" or just a flashing cursor. I never see a Linux-like splash screen or grub menu.

There is no page yet for the 9,1 in the MacTel Wiki Support Matrix , but I've followed the closest model (8,2 on Oneiric). Note I haven't even got to messing around with MBRs and GPTs; this computer just doesn't seem to like the (K)ubuntu boot media.

There are a zillion things I could try: a different USB flash drive, burn the regular amd64 (no "+Mac") .iso to CD, learn EFI commands, learn rEFIt commands, try an alternate (no graphics?) .iso, try a Fedora 17 .iso (developer did insane amount of work for Mac booting) ... But mainly I'm hoping for "I got a 9,1 model to work", "I've heard of problems with latest MBP hardware/firmware" or "Here's how to diagnose early CD/USB boot failures."

This model 9,1 has Apple firmware 1.10, EFI 1.10, Intel HD Graphics 4000 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M to 1,440-by-900 display, 500 GB spinning drive, Core i7.

Thanks and regards (and a big shout-out to "Smurphy" helping folks out on #kubuntu last night).

Beans

Re: latest MBP 9,1 (non-Retina) won't boot 12.04 CD or USB

I wish I had seen your post before.

I *just* purchased a MacBook Pro, and I am trying to install Ubuntu, to no avail

What am I gonna do, use MacOS?!

Please follow up if you find a solution.

Beans

Well, you know what? This method worked for me:
    http://tillmail.de/wordpress/436

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

My MacBookPro6,1 wouldn't boot either. I've got that method and also using the amd64+mac iso to boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

honestly there are always little issues on these new macs. Ubuntu can't catch up. None their fault, propriety stuff needs reverse engineering, etc...
    But it seems like a constant fight trying to get ubuntu to run on this hardware and even once it *works* it doesn't work as well as the native mac, using both video cards, efi boot, wifi drivers, etc.

My point is that instead of fighting it I don't see a reason not to leave macosx native, with these latest gen of intels, up to 16GB of ram, etc. I can run ubuntu full screen mode in a vm and not ever know i didn't boot it native. This is what i'm going to do, this way i don't fight with getting ubuntu working half a$$ over the next year on the latest mac osx hardware.

Beans

Hi guys,

So I have had no issue running Ubuntu 12.04 on my MacBook Pro (Non-Retina) 9,1

Can I ask what you've tried so far?

I simply booted the image of USB after splitting my harddrive down the middle using DiskUtility in OSX.

Once installed in added the macintel repo and bob-your-uncle, wifi, USB and all that...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try booting the livecd / usb with the kernel boot parameter:

Code:
    nouveau.noaccel=1
    Or if that doesn't work try:

Code:
    nomodeset
    as a kernel parameter as well

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by theMentor View Post

I simply booted the image of USB after splitting my harddrive down the middle using DiskUtility in OSX.
    FYI mine is a 9,2 - not a 9,1. Maybe that is why it wasn't as easy as with yours.

1/ I had to use the method mentioned above to boot from the usb key (the http://tillmail.de/wordpress/436 one)

2/ Once the installation was done, linux would crash during boot. I had to add the noapic kernel argument (found it by googling the error message while starting in safe mode)

3/ Wifi didn't work, I had to manually add the 'b43' (broadcom) drivers

Now it works well but I still have two minor problems:

- The keyboard backlight doesn't work
    - Wifi sometimes doesn't work after suspend/resume

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by theMentor View Post
    Hi guys,

Can I ask what you've tried so far?

Once installed in added the macintel repo and bob-your-uncle, wifi, USB and all that...
    What iso image did you use? There are many to choose from: i386-dvd, alt amd64 ,...

I tried a non dvd one for x64 (i think...) and it did not work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by BoDlulu View Post
    FYI mine is a 9,2 - not a 9,1. Maybe that is why it wasn't as easy as with yours.

1/ I had to use the method mentioned above to boot from the usb key (the http://tillmail.de/wordpress/436 one)

2/ Once the installation was done, linux would crash during boot. I had to add the noapic kernel argument (found it by googling the error message while starting in safe mode)

3/ Wifi didn't work, I had to manually add the 'b43' (broadcom) drivers

Now it works well but I still have two minor problems:

- The keyboard backlight doesn't work
    - Wifi sometimes doesn't work after suspend/resume
    Is your fan working? Did applesmc module load?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast