Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus the CPU eater

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Nautilus the CPU eater

Hi

Not sure where to put this, so Mods please move to the right place.

I upgraded from Ubuntu 11.10 to 12.10 (64bit) and since then upon start up Nautilus just sits there and eat the CPU and memory and makes the laptop pretty unusable.

I have to do a "killall nautilus" in the terminal to get control over laptop again. I have even tried to upgrade to 13.04 (which runs great on my laptop) and even upgraded Nautilus to 3.6 but sill it hangs.

I even tried "sudo apt-get purge nautilus-open-terminal" but Nautilus is still eating CPH.

I have looked around and yet to find a solution that solves it and I can see others are having the the same problem.

I'm now using Gnome-commander and terminal for my files. Though every time I boot up, insert a external HDD or when other programs calls for Nautilus I end up with a laptop that unusable until I kill nautilus, which is rather annoying to do.

Does anyone here got an idea on how to solve this. I used to like Nautilus but I might have to give Gnome etc a go to stop this.

Laptop : Dell 13z (1.2Ghz,3Gb Ram, 500Gb HDD)

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Nautilus the CPU eater

Have you tried opening nautilus from terminal? May give you some useful info.

Beans
    Distro

Hi and thanks

Here is the output of "sudo nautilus"

Initializing nautilus-dropbox 1.4.0

(nautilus:25693): IBUS-WARNING **: The owner of /home/ymer/.config/ibus/bus is not root!
    Nautilus-Share-Message: unknown format for key 'Public/usershare_acl' as it contains 'S-1-1-0:F,'. Assuming that the share is read-only

And that is where it hangs

I just tried to remove dropbox and now it just hangs and this comes

"Could not register the application: Timeout was reached"

Beans

I think you want 'gksu nautilus' (use gksu instead of sudo for graphical programs)

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Code:
    killall dropbox
    do anything?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hi
    --> I think you want 'gksu nautilus' (use gksu instead of sudo for graphical programs) <---
    i know that's a lot of work - but sudo must handle this behavior (i know that sudo is penauts again kernel development).
    sorry - but this no answer for me - it looks like a bug !!!
    exception handling is the salt of programing.
    ciao
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans

No, you do need to use gksu instead of sudo for GUI programs. Otherwise you run into strange side effects -- file ownership problems, if I recall. I don't really know, but it may well have something to do with the error message.

But actually, you probably shouldn't use either sudo or gksu. I can't think why you would need to start Nautilus as a super-user in this case.
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; March 18th, 2013 at 03:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

How much have you up- and downgraded the system since initial installation? It sounds like a lot of experiments have been going on.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks all, sorry for the delay, life called

>killall dropbox
    >dropbox: no process found

>gksu nautilus
    I was asked for my password in a "gui" popup and after awhile nothing happened just went back to the prompt.

I have only upgraded, not downgraded, from 11.10 to 12.10 to 13.04 and Nautilus to 3.6 to 3.8

When I use the "gui" and click on files(as it is called in 13.04) it starts up, in the sense that it will show a grey window and the CPH is at 100% and memory used is slowly getting more and more.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would go straight to a reinstall of 13.04, keeping the standard Nautilus.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast