Thread: How to restrict the drive speed when mounting an irregularly-shaped audio CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How to restrict the drive speed when mounting an irregularly-shaped audio CD?

Hi I posted this in the Multimedia forum http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2125413 but so far no one has offered any advice, so I thought that I would try here. The problem is that I want to rip some Audio Cds in my collection that have an irregular shape. It wouldn't be a problem but the hole is not at the center of gravity, so they shake violently when attempting to mount, unable to track correctly. I was going to use Ruby Ripper with the -s 1 option (ripping speed is 1x), but I'm afraid that the discs will break because my drive (a Sony CD-R/Rw drive CRX220A1) spins too fast when mounting! Is it even possible to force a CD/DVD drive to mount slower?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to restrict the drive speed when mounting an irregularly-shaped audio CD?

Presumably they play ok in a conventional audio cd player (otherwise you would have returned them...?).
    So why not play them there and output the digital signal to spdif on your soundcard and record to a file...?
    Or from your home dvd player if your cd player doesn't have digital out....?