Thread: Permissions for Macbook Files

Beans

Permissions for Macbook Files

I am using ubuntu to access files on my Macbook Pro hd in order to save some file before reformatting. However, I get the message that I don't have permission. Can anyone tell me how to get permission?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Permissions for Macbook Files

Sudo should do it

Beans
    Hidden!

You may also need the hfsplus and/or hfsutils packages to be able to mount the partition, if you don't have them already installed.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; March 18th, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typo
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You may also need the hfsplus and/or hfsutils packages to be able to mount the partition, if you don't have them already installed.
    I typed in "gksudo nautilus" and gained access; but when I attempt to copy files to my external hard drive I get a message "Error while copying "file name", There was an error copying the file into \media\ubuntu\04c0-2300. Error opening file permission denied."

It seems all my files are read only.

Will the hfsplus and/or hfsutils packages help with this problem? and if so where do I get them and do I jet copy them to the boot disk?

Thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!

You will need to install the hfs packages to your ubuntu OS, I think, if you want to do anything with the files, though you may be able to just copy them even if they are read only. I am a bit confused as to whether or not you can even see those files using ubuntu. Is this an installed ubuntu OS or a live OS from CD or USB?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You will need to install the hfs packages to your ubuntu OS, I think, if you want to do anything with the files, though you may be able to just copy them even if they are read only. I am a bit confused as to whether or not you can even see those files using ubuntu. Is this an installed ubuntu OS or a live OS from CD or USB?
    It's a live os from a cd and while I can see the files I can't copy them. how would I install the hfs packages to the Ubuntu os. ( sorry if this seems to be a dumb question but I need the step by step instructions)

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If your using a live CD , you will need another place to save the files to, like an external drive or thumbdrive .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    If your using a live CD , you will need another place to save the files to, like an external drive or thumbdrive .
    Yes. I'm using a thumbdrive