Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Permissions for Macbook Files

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    5

    Permissions for Macbook Files

    I am using ubuntu to access files on my Macbook Pro hd in order to save some file before reformatting. However, I get the message that I don't have permission. Can anyone tell me how to get permission?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lake Placid, Florida, USA
    Beans
    2,019
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Permissions for Macbook Files

    Sudo should do it

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I think I'm here! Maybe?
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Permissions for Macbook Files

    You may also need the hfsplus and/or hfsutils packages to be able to mount the partition, if you don't have them already installed.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; March 18th, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typo
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    5

    Re: Permissions for Macbook Files

    Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You may also need the hfsplus and/or hfsutils packages to be able to mount the partition, if you don't have them already installed.
    I typed in "gksudo nautilus" and gained access; but when I attempt to copy files to my external hard drive I get a message "Error while copying "file name", There was an error copying the file into \media\ubuntu\04c0-2300. Error opening file permission denied."


    It seems all my files are read only.

    Will the hfsplus and/or hfsutils packages help with this problem? and if so where do I get them and do I jet copy them to the boot disk?

    Thanks again

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I think I'm here! Maybe?
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Permissions for Macbook Files

    You will need to install the hfs packages to your ubuntu OS, I think, if you want to do anything with the files, though you may be able to just copy them even if they are read only. I am a bit confused as to whether or not you can even see those files using ubuntu. Is this an installed ubuntu OS or a live OS from CD or USB?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    5

    Re: Permissions for Macbook Files

    Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You will need to install the hfs packages to your ubuntu OS, I think, if you want to do anything with the files, though you may be able to just copy them even if they are read only. I am a bit confused as to whether or not you can even see those files using ubuntu. Is this an installed ubuntu OS or a live OS from CD or USB?
    It's a live os from a cd and while I can see the files I can't copy them. how would I install the hfs packages to the Ubuntu os. ( sorry if this seems to be a dumb question but I need the step by step instructions)

    thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lake Placid, Florida, USA
    Beans
    2,019
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Permissions for Macbook Files

    If your using a live CD , you will need another place to save the files to, like an external drive or thumbdrive .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    5

    Re: Permissions for Macbook Files

    Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    If your using a live CD , you will need another place to save the files to, like an external drive or thumbdrive .
    Yes. I'm using a thumbdrive

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •