Thread: Ubuntu Phone & Ubuntu for android, can u explain?

Beans

Question Ubuntu Phone & Ubuntu for android, can u explain?

So today i broke my phone

I am hearing everyday about Ubuntu Phones and i am thinking of not paying 100-200 eyros to fix this phone (as its current price is 260), and to buy a quad core or even 8x core ( s4 coming . )

Also i am having a computer dualboot Windows - Ubuntu
    The integration of Ubuntu and my laptop maybe the worst that ever happned, meaning that i have everyday bugs (like freezing suddenly forced to crash system) , and also games that play spectacular good in Windows, lag extremely bad in Ubuntu )

So the question
    If i buy for example in a couple of months from now, lets say the samsung s4. Will i be able to put Ubuntu phone on it, and also have only Windows on my computer (not dualboot) and run for example Ubuntu 13.04 from the phone, u know there was something called Ubuntu for android that u connect the phone to a dock.. )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Phone & Ubuntu for android, can u explain?

I suggest that you read about it from the official sources. It that way you do not get misled.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Check the links under the Devices heading at the bottom of the page. Also keep an eye on these people.

http://www.jonobacon.org/2013/02/27/...-ubuntu-touch/

http://www.xda-developers.com/

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices

Canonical's aim is to get Ubuntu Touch pre-installed on mobile devices. Canonical will not be providing Ubuntu Touch images for download like it does with images for the desktop. There are just too many devices out there. How much would you be prepared to pay for such a download, anyway? That is exactly the point. Canonical is a commercial enterprise. They are looking for a way to make a profit. But as Ubuntu is open source then anyone can port Ubuntu to any device they want to. But they have to do the work.

The idea of a mobile device that becomes a PC is to do away with the need for a desktop PC. The phone connects to the dock/hub. The monitor, keyboard and mouse connect to the hub and the Ubuntu phone is now your Ubuntu PC. Read about it in the official reports because I think that you misunderstand what is being planned.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 17th, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Dang, I specifically got my Droid DNA (Quad core 2GB of ram) with hopes that I could do that in the future

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonTastyDev View Post
    So today i broke my phone

Ouch, that's nasty! I recently had a similar problem with a new phone, which I'd only had a couple of days, and it would have cost more to fix the phone than to replace it!

Others have suggested some good reading, +1 to the suggestions.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Just as a random suggestion. Nexus devices will get everything first. Dosent matter if we are talking about ubuntu or android. The main device support will always be a nexus device and ubuntu will be extreamly optimized to run it