Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do all the existing shell extensions in Gnome 3.6 work in 3.8?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Q about Gnome 3.8...

Thanks Jeremy,
    So with regard to extensions, I'm prolly best to wait until 3.8 officially? I see there are only two extensions listed on the link you gave me.
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Q about Gnome 3.8...

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick_NZ View Post
    I see there are only two extensions listed on the link you gave me.
    This stuff changes all the time. That's the nature of testing!

Here's the list, as of today (take with a grain of salt)...

Code:
    vindsl@Zuul:~$ apt-cache policy gnome-shellgnome-shell:
      Installed: 3.7.92+git20130319.307004a4-0ubuntu1~13.04~ricotz0
      Candidate: 3.7.92+git20130319.307004a4-0ubuntu1~13.04~ricotz0
      Version table:
     *** 3.7.92+git20130319.307004a4-0ubuntu1~13.04~ricotz0 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ricotz/testing/ubuntu/ raring/main i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         3.7.92-0ubuntu1~raring1 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ raring/main i386 Packages
         3.6.3.1-0ubuntu4 0
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/universe i386 Packages
            500 http://samaritan.ucmerced.edu/ubuntu/ raring/universe i386 Packages
         3.6.2-0ubuntu0.2 0
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates/universe i386 Packages
    vindsl@Zuul:~$

Linkage: https://extensions.gnome.org/#shell_version=3.7.92 (20 extensions listed)

I'll check "TopIcons" after I submit this post -- that's always a good...um... test.

EDIT

Nope! Flagged as needing updating.

Tomorrow is a new day...
    Last edited by VinDSL; March 21st, 2013 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Addendum
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Do all the existing shell extensions in Gnome 3.6 work in 3.8?

I have used Y-PPA Manager to purge PPAs. The process was painless (for me) but you should check into it for yourself.
    It's available here - ppa:webupd8team/y-ppa-manager

Beans
    Distro

If you go to extensions.gnome.org, it presents you with the extensions that are explicitly labeled as being compatible with whatever version of Gnome Shell you are running. There are very few for 3.8. But...

If you have already installed them in 3.6, many of them can be made to work by editing the metada.json file that each extension has in its directory. It should be obvious what you need to do in that file. Restart the shell, and you should see your newly enabled extensions in gnome tweak tool.

I was able to get most of my favorite extensions to work in 3.8 this way (I actually entered "3.7.92" in the metadata.json file). A couple wouldn't work even with this hack, but most of them did...

If you installed extensions from the website, they will be in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions. If you installed from the extensions package, I don't know where they go - maybe something like /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions?

I've got Remove Accessibility, Disable Window Animations, Media Player Indicator, Places, Show Desktop, Recent Items, and Windowoverlay icons working.

But I'm sure they'll all be updated pretty soon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post

I was able to get most of my favorite extensions to work in 3.8 this way (I actually entered "3.7.92" in the metadata.json file). A couple wouldn't work even with this hack, but most of them did...
    I just added the gnome-team ppa last night and did the upgrade -- I'm familiar with this workaround so I'll see if it resurrects a lot of my extensions.

A more general question though if you don't mind (I'm recently returning to Gnome, after a tour of Unity, Elementary OS, and others...) --

How are "normal" extension upgrades handled when they are installed from extensions.gnome.org? Say in the future I'm using the release version of GNOME, with extensions that are intended to be compatible with it, no hacks or workarounds in place, and everything is great. Then an extension author updates the published version of the extension on the website. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall it via extensions.gnome.org to get the upgrade, or is there some other method available?

Same question I suppose for extensions that I'm unable to resurrect with the metadata.json workaround -- will they automagically start working when updated by the authors, or do I need to uninstall/reinstall?

I guess what I'm asking is whether there's a background process that checks whether my installed extensions have published upgrades and/or if such a check is triggered when I visit extensions.gnome.org...

Thanks!
    Last edited by converted; March 22nd, 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by converted View Post
    I just added the gnome-team ppa last night and did the upgrade -- I'm familiar with this workaround so I'll see if it resurrects a lot of my extensions.

A more general question though if you don't mind (I'm recently returning to Gnome, after a tour of Unity, Elementary OS, and others...) --

How are "normal" extension upgrades handled when they are installed from extensions.gnome.org? Say in the future I'm using the release version of GNOME, with extensions that are intended to be compatible with it, no hacks or workarounds in place, and everything is great. Then an extension author updates the published version of the extension on the website. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall it via extensions.gnome.org to get the upgrade, or is there some other method available?

Same question I suppose for extensions that I'm unable to resurrect with the metadata.json workaround -- will they automagically start working when updated by the authors, or do I need to uninstall/reinstall?

I guess what I'm asking is whether there's a background process that checks whether my installed extensions have published upgrades and/or if such a check is triggered when I visit extensions.gnome.org...

Thanks!
    I'm not really sure about the extensions that are installed via the official package - I would assume that package is versions that work with the official version of GS is for that release.

I think a better way to deal with extensions is to use the website. Click on the 'Installed extensions' link and you will see all the extensions you have installed, and which of those have updates available.

If you've tried the metadata trick and an extension still doesn't work, check the website and see if there's an update. I've had extensions labeled "obsolete" on the Installed Extensions page, but they'll show the update icon if one is available - just click on it, and sometimes all is well.

Sometimes there is more than one extension that does pretty much the same thing - if you can't make one of your extensions work that has a feature important to you, you can search all the extensions for one that might. That's what I did to get a working 'overlay icons' and 'music indicator' for 3.8.

As far as I know, there is no way to automagically keep all extensions updated. I think I read somewhere that this is something the Gnome Team is working on - perhaps someone else knows more...

Beans

Great, thanks for the info! I've been intending to install via the site, not by package anyway, so this is perfect. I didn't know about the "Obsolete" label on the Installed page at the site, and that pretty much gets me what I need (or close enough to it).

I appreciate the info!

Beans
    Distro

Some interesting shell extensions are becoming available for GS 3.8

Check this out: Dash to Dock (Unity Dash Wannabe)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Any idea when HideTopBar will be available for 3.8?
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Any idea when HideTopBar will be available for 3.8?
    I have no idea.

I keep waiting for TopIcons to get updated.

Just a matter of time, I suppose, now that 3.8 has been released.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast