Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do all the existing shell extensions in Gnome 3.6 work in 3.8?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Do all the existing shell extensions in Gnome 3.6 work in 3.8?

Tweak Tool will indicate which extensions are not working. A mouseover should generate a tiny explanation. "Outdated" is used to indicate versioning problems.

An identical capability is available at extensions.gnome.org.

Correcting the Gnome Shell version in metadata.json has been hit or miss for me. It seems to be important to be precise. I.e., if you are running 3.8.0.1, use that, not simply "3.8".

Unless an extension is available in, and installed from, a repo, I'm pretty sure that updates need to be installed manually. I usually disable the extension, then go to extensions.gnome.org, and reinstall it. If that doesn't work, I delete the extension manually and try again. This is an area that definitely needs improvement. Gnome seems to like having the extensions around but also seems reluctant to fully embrace and take responsibility for them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL;12587477
    Check this out: [URL="https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/307/dash-to-dock/"
    Dash to Dock[/URL] (Unity Dash Wannabe)
    Dash To Dock is superb and really ought to be tried by anyone who's put off by Gnome's inclusion of the Launcher in the Overview. I should say it does not default to the vertical expansion shown in your image, but can be run as a traditional dock. Combined with an extension to turn off the hot corner, it's a very good alternative. It's been around for some time and its developer deserves kudos for staying with it and delivering an extension that, I think, fundamentally improves Gnome Shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Tweak Tool will indicate which extensions are not working. A mouseover should generate a tiny explanation. "Outdated" is used to indicate versioning problems.

An identical capability is available at extensions.gnome.org.

Correcting the Gnome Shell version in metadata.json has been hit or miss for me. It seems to be important to be precise. I.e., if you are running 3.8.0.1, use that, not simply "3.8".

Unless an extension is available in, and installed from, a repo, I'm pretty sure that updates need to be installed manually. I usually disable the extension, then go to extensions.gnome.org, and reinstall it. If that doesn't work, I delete the extension manually and try again. This is an area that definitely needs improvement. Gnome seems to like having the extensions around but also seems reluctant to fully embrace and take responsibility for them.
    I'm using GS 3.8.0.1, and in my metadata tweaking, simply use 3.8, and it works. But during the 3.7.x dev cycle, I found I had to be exact, e.g., 3.7.92 or whatever.

I agree that the extension handling mechanism is chaotic. I think if you just stick with the extensions website, you're better off. You can see your installed extensions, and it will tell you if they have updates, which you can apply with a click.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

if you install gnome-tweak-tool you can actvate the installed extensions , it gives you a list . If you go to the bottom and click on "get more extension" it will take you to https://extensions.gnome.org/ and show you what other extensions will work with the gnome-shell version you have installed ( I saw 4 pages of them ) I installed some from there and they work .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123