Thread: Eudora replacement

Beans

Eudora replacement

I still have an old Win98 machine that I use on dialup to get some of my email. I have been using Eudora on there for many years now. One of the features I really like is that Eudora stores the attachements in a folder that I can navegate to without opening the email client. I would like to start using one of my Linux boxes and wifi (at the library or wherever) to get my email. I have been searching for a couple of weeks now but don't see many cases where the description contains information about attachment handling. The open source version of Eudora stores the attachment in the message like most other clients. So, I am wondering if any of you fine folks know of a client that will do what I want. Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and accept the fact that I will have to access attachements via my email client? Also, does anyone know why attachemts are stored in the message instead of in a separate folder? It seems to me that having them separate would be a good thing for several reasons.
    Thanks!
    PS I have 3 laptops running: Ubuntu 10.04, Edubuntu, and Kubuntu but would be willing to install a different flavor if I need to.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Eudora replacement

I am using Eudora OSE in Ubuntu 64 bit (XUbuntu 12.04 and LUbuntu 12.10).
    In Edit Menu --> Preferences --> Attachment Tab
    you can select where to save attachments, or have Eudora ask you every time.
    The only problem I had with Eudora was when installing in LUbuntu,
    the README file does not mention that ia32-libs is needed when installing on 64 bit system, it took me quite a while to figure that out.
    Good luck with your choice of mail reader. I have used Eudora for maybe 15 years, and like it enough to stay with it.

Beans

Re: Eudora replacement

Thanks for the suggestion ossgrouch. I got Eudora OSE and installed it on my KUbuntu laptop. I had a little trouble getting it to connect because my ISP switched to IMAP on gmail's servers but apparently left a POP server connected at their domain name so Eudora set up based on that information (which of course didn't work). With a little messing around I got it looking at the correct domain and using the right settings. It's pretty impressive that Eudora OSE can take an email address and basically set up everything (if the ISP keeps all their old stuff cleaned up). Then I made the selection you suggested. However, when I tested it, what I found was that the attachment is still embedded in the message until I double click on it. I was hoping to find something more automagic, like the old Eudora. I am leaving this thread open for a while longer to see if there are any more suggestions and am also going to post on a more general forum since I am no longer only using *Ubuntu. Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it.