Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missing 100GB after installation failed.

Beans

Re: Missing 100GB after installation failed.

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about, is it the free space you see inside the C: partition in windows?

Your disk is 1.36TiB which is approx correct for a disk of 1.5TB and as mentioned above, all space is accounted for.

Now, how much unsued space you see inside C:, that is a different subject and is up to windows. That red warning symbol on sda2 usually means you need to run chkdsk in windows. So, boot windows and run chkdsk on C:.
    I checked before installation and I had 890GB free space, I then attempted to install Ubuntu via a USB made with Fedora LiveUSB and tried to partition within Ubuntu. The installer glitched and wouldn't work nor partition right, so I turned my computer off. After booting into Windows again, I noticed that I only had 770GB free space left.

Note: My partition size was 100gb...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I understand that but according to the gparted screen you posted no 100GB partition was made, right? Windows might be only confused about the size of its partition since thr installer started partitioning it but never finished. So run the chkdsk first.
    Another thing, are you using 7 or XP? If using 7 do the resize with windows Disk Management, not the ubuntu installer.

Beans

I've ran chkdsk many times, I've also tried defragging and it said there was 100gb fragmented files. But after completing it, nothing happened.
    Windows 7, and I'll see.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm not sure if win7 can get that confused because of the started (and failed) repartitioning attempt. Gparted seems to show that no ubuntu partition of any kind was created, all space on the disk belongs to win7.

Open Disk Management in win7 and check what that says. Does it have any unallocated space or all space belongs to the win7 ntfs partition?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

I'm still 100% sure it was Ubuntu, because I hadn't downloaded or installed anything that large.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday9000 View Post
    I then turned my PC off and booted back into windows to see there was 100GB missing.
    Don't nobody leave this room!!

You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There you go, all the space is accounted for.

How much free space does win7 show inside it, that's win7 problem. From a partitioning point of view, it's all there. This might be a case of a large temp file or something that you need to find and delete. Try running Disc Cleanup, and emptying your recycle bin, etc.

You can also try some program that scans the disk and shows you the size of files and folders, to help you find some weird large file/folder that shouldn't be there. Once you find it, you can delete it.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12