Thread: Question about RAID5

Hybrid View

Beans

Question about RAID5

I am setting up a home server, i have three 3TB disks and am about to set them up for RAID5. I also have an SSD that i am running 12.04 from. My question is, if my SSD dies or i upgrade the OS or make any other significant changes, will the RAID5 be usable by the new OS or by a new controller? Is there a way to remount all three of the disks that another version/install of the OS can still read write the data? Or does the 3 disks just turn to gibberish with out the original OS that set it up?

Thanks!
    Last edited by paarono; March 16th, 2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: adding tags

Beans

Re: Question about RAID5

Assuming you're using hardware raid (because you mention a controller), as long as the raid controller doesn't fail, you shouldn't have an issue with putting in a new SSD, installing an OS and reading the RAID array.

Beans

Thanks gtmurff, I actually was planning on using 12.04 from the SSD as the controller, i can't seem to figure out how to use the motherboard to do RAID (intel DH77KC) so I am looking to do this with software via the OS.

If I would lose all my data on the RAID 5 array as a result of the SSD failing then I wanted to find a new way to set these disks up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are going to be using software RAID then this isn't an issue.

You can install a new OS or move the drives to a different machine entirely and all of your data will still be available.
    You just need to install the mdadm package and it should scan your drives and reassemble the array.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Thanks Cheesemill, this is exactly what i was looking for.

Beans

After doing some deeper research on this topic and my specific situation I came across this super helpful walk-through and explanation. So far so good!

http://www.clearfoundation.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,232/catid,24/func,view/id,44349/limit,10/limitstart,10/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You should take a look at rubylaser's blog, it has a lot of good mdadm information on it...

http://zackreed.me/articles?tag_id=22
    Cheesemill