Thread: NFS client - Automatically unmounts after around 30 minutes (not using automount)

Beans

NFS client - Automatically unmounts after around 30 minutes (not using automount)

The mount point disappears 30 minutes (or so) after mounting it. It doesn't matter if I'm in the middle of a file transfer, using the mount point, or what's going on.
    For example, in the middle of a file transfer, I'll see a "Permission Denied. Cannot write to /media/nas/" or something similar.
    Then when doing a df -h, the mount point is no longer visible. ls -l /media, I see a bunch of question marks instead of file permissions etc.
    There are no errors from dmesg or /var/log/syslog. Also, no errors on the NAS box.

No problem mounting either.

New 12.04 64 bit install.
    Mount a share from DNS-320 NAS.
    From Linux server:

showmount -e 192.168.1.xxx
    Export list for 192.168.1.xxx:
    /mnt/HD/HD_a2 *
    /mnt/HD/HD_a2/P2P *

/etc/fstab entry
    192.168.1.xxx:/mnt/HD/HD_a2 /media/nas nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

Any ideas?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: NFS client - Automatically unmounts after around 30 minutes (not using automount)

hi
    running the same version. got no problems with nfs. the only different is my mount isn't interupable "intr". the hard link is ok for read/write.
    your entry:
    /etc/fstab entry
    192.168.1.xxx:/mnt/HD/HD_a2 /media/nas nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0
    there for i think on your system is an interrupt coming in (from where for ever - don't no).
    try the mount without the "intr" option. i guess there is the problem.
    my entry:
    /etc/fstab entry:
    192.168.2.xxx:/mnt/gonzos/home nfs rw,hard 0 0
    i know there is a big problem when the client comes up and the server isn't available. but give the non inrt a try and see what's happen.
    ciao
    Last edited by rnerwein; March 15th, 2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: sorry i copied with "intr" before
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans

Re: NFS client - Automatically unmounts after around 30 minutes (not using automount)

Thanks. Trying that now.
    One thing I didn't try was a power recycle on the NAS. Doing that at the same time.

I'll have to wait ~30 minutes to see if it works.........