Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I accidentally closed terminal in the middle of an apt-get upgrade; am I screwed?

Beans

Unhappy I accidentally closed terminal in the middle of an apt-get upgrade; am I screwed?

I was told that in order to update a part of Steam that its auto-updater couldn't handle, I should run "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade". Well, I did, not realizing that the latter updates everything on my system to the latest build and that it would take over an hour. So I started doing other stuff while it ran, and then I accidentally closed the Konsole window along with everything else before it was finished. I don't know if it makes any difference that I was using Konsole instead of whatever terminal app Unity has, but either way, did I just ruin my computer?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I accidentally closed terminal in the middle of an apt-get upgrade; am I screwed?

try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    and see if it completes, if not post the error messages back here for help.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Re: I accidentally closed terminal in the middle of an apt-get upgrade; am I screwed?

It completed. I had interrupted it in the middle of downloading, not unpacking/installing.

But then the system tray prompted me to restart the computer, so I did. And then it froze in the middle of booting up.

Soooooo then I booted into repair mode or whatever it's called from the GRUB menu, and tried to run the package restore thing. It downloaded 30 megs of stuff and then asked if I wanted to remove three packages (y - yes, d - details). I made the mistake of typing d, because then it spat out the name of one package and "[END]" in white on black; I tried pressing Enter, End, and Esc, and I'm pretty sure Down as well, but nothing took me back to the prompt. So I started mashing keys and then the message changed to something I don't remember, and then it really didn't do anything no matter what I pressed. So I did a Ctrl+Alt+Del and now the GRUB menu is completely gone. Instead there's a text prompt that I have no idea how to use, but it probably doesn't matter because clearly I must have hosed it good for even the boot menu to have disappeared.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

What does it say at the prompt? If it's just a regular command prompt then try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    If it's a Grub prompt then just reboot and start again. It's unlikely you've completely hosed your system, we should be able to recover it if you're still able to boot up into a command line with networking and run the package manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try these commands

Code:
    apt-get autoclean
    Code:
    apt-get autoremove
    Following these two commands,issue this command
    Code:
    apt-get -f install
    Hope this helps.

Beans

Oh hey, the menu did come right back.

Well, after trying the package restore again, I now have a system that boots with a text-mode version of the gray Kubuntu boot screen and goes to black when it hangs instead of just freezing. I tried going into the shell from the recovery menu and entering those three commands, but they all said nothing was changed.

Now what?

EDIT: I tried the package restore one more time as a Hail Mary, and it brought back the graphical boot screen but it still freezes.
    Last edited by Steve the Pocket; March 15th, 2013 at 10:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Steve the Pocket; Hi !
    Let's see if the situation can be narrowed down somewhat - error codes are good -
    Post the output of terminal code:
    Code:
    dpkg --audit
    which gives a list of unconfigured packages (if any).

hth

Beans

Nothing.

Is it possible the graphics driver is messed up? I'm using a relatively new AMD legacy driver that I had to install manually with the "force" parameter on because the standard methods of removing fglrx weren't getting everything. I have no idea what trying to do an apt-get upgrade on top of that might do.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Steve the Pocket;
    A nothing return is a good thing; means all packages that the package manager is aware of are intact .

To explore your surmise in greater depth, let's load ubuntu up in "recovery mode" See how it likes the onboard "vesa" driver.
    Not knowing what version you are running ->just general guidline:
    Single operating system:
    cold boot, soon as bios screen clears depress and hold shift key -> grub menu
    arrow down to "recovery mode" kernel, enter key to activate -> recovery console menu -> "resume normal boot"
    GUI login -> username and password -> GUI desk top in degraded graphics ( we hope )
    Yeas ? then from the "Additional Drivers" utility see if you can install the recommended driver.
    Reboot
    Maybe all the background grunt work done for us and not required to (un)install the proprietary drivers.

Getting a driver to work with steam ....might be another matter, I just do not know.

we will see what is to be seen

Beans

No dice. I select "resume normal boot" and after the text scroll I just get a blank screen.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast