Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I accidentally closed terminal in the middle of an apt-get upgrade; am I screwed?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I accidentally closed terminal in the middle of an apt-get upgrade; am I screwed?

@ steeldriver, Glad to have your support. We tried booting an older kernel, with the same results. Would not booting the older kernel negate the driver/new kernel incompatibility ?
    I am close to being lost for options and about to direct the OP to restore the desktop to defaults. But, keeping in mind that composting might be presenting a problem.
    what can I say ?

Beans

Re: I accidentally closed terminal in the middle of an apt-get upgrade; am I screwed?

Well now we might be getting somewhere: typing kwin at the shell prompt gets me
    kwin: FATAL ERROR while trying to open display
    That might just be because X isn't running, though, or because the graphics driver needs to be started first or something.

Beans

... what happens if you type 'startx' instead of kwin?

(apologies if you already tried that - I didn't reread the whole thread)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Steve the Pocket; steel driver;
    "startx" is valid -- see what errors that returns - on my list for troubleshooting -// Still looking at this as a display problem rather than a driver issue.
    As such let's look at the/var/log/Xorg.0.log file as well as the hidden file in home directory ~/.xsession-errors and see if there are any reported errors, before we take drastic measures.
    my think'n

Beans

Here's what startx does. First it spits out the parameter list, and then after a few seconds...
    Fatal server error:
    Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tx0-lock

Please consult the The X.org Foundation support at http://wiki.x.org for help.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
    xinit: server error
    xauth: error in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority

Beans

OK if you are still in the 'Root Shell' of recovery mode, then it's normal to have no networking, and for the filesystem to be read-only (hence you won't be able to start X - the lock file /Xauthority files won't be writeable)

If that's the case, type

Code:
    exit
    at the # prompt to get back to the main recovery mode menu, then with your ethernet cable plugged in select 'Enable networking' from the menu and confirm (it will ask you if you want to remount the filesystem), then once it's done select 'Drop to root shell prompt' again and try

Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    Hopefully you will now see a valid IPv4 address - most likely something like 192.168.x.x if you have a regular LAN router

If that works then you can try

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    Let us know how it goes

Beans

Yeah, I tried running an update/upgrade yesterday, just in case there was something it had failed to grab the first time around. It told me there were no packages with updates available.

Beans

OK in that case, let's see if we can figure out why it won't boot past the text console

First, let's make sure the filesystem is mounted with read-write permissions:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    (note there's no space between the remount,rw options) THEN try to start the GUI display manager - I don't have Kubuntu but afaik 12.04 still uses kdm

Code:
    service kdm start
    Does it try to take you to a graphical login on tty7? If it fails, switch back to the root console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and see if there are any error messages

Beans

I think the mount command didn't go through correctly, because it dumped the param list. But I ran the enable networking option in the menu, which I know remounts the filesystem in read/write mode because it always warns me that it will. Then I ran the second command and it said something like "thread running, process 1337" and after a few seconds the screen went blank and stopped responding.

In the meantime, I decided to see if there's a solution documented elsewhere by googling "kubuntu updating broke my system" and found this page with a rather worrisome post beneath:
    Here is one SERIOUS reason Kubuntu sucks. Any time an upgrade to core system packages like kde-workspace/desktop or plasma occurs, the entire system breaks. It removes essential packages and doesn't reinstall them. One has to do this through a recovery prompt. Perhaps this only happens with packages upgraded via the backports repo--I don't know. But it's it's still a major bug in the way certain package upgrades happen. I've been using Kubuntu since version 9 or 10 days and this bug still hasn't been fixed with version 12.10!
    Eep. I may try to get in touch with that poster and see what they know.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Simple word of advice. More like a side note to all the command line gymnastics in order to save you some pain in the future. Regardless of which Ubuntu variant you're running, it's always safer to use Synaptic to run your upgrades. It's basically just a gui for APT, so whatever the command line can do, Synaptic can do. You can download it using Kubuntu's built in package manager or you can commandline jockey to get it, but it's still the most useful and most intelligent package manager program out there. It will warn you if you mistakenly try to close the program while an upgrade or install is in progress. I've used The Software Center, the commandline APT, Muon, and Synaptic and by far Synaptic is the most reliable and flexible of any of these methods that I've found.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast