Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

Beans

Re: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

That's a good idea, it is just easier to burn an iso to a cd and have someone load it into their cd drive

Beans

Thank you, sudodus, I will still probably come back with new questions. LXLE still looks good, and I've invested enough time that I think I'll stick with it, and hopefully it'll help somebody else with my problem -- the A7N266-VM mobo pops around Google quite a bit, and it is fairly sturdy.

I found legacy drivers that seem to offer support for GeForce 2 MX for 32 bit Linux -- the 71.86.15, and the 96.43.23, but some people in other pages have reported having problems with the latter; it says it supports GeForce2 MX/MX 400, GeForce2 MX 100/200, and since the GeForce2 MX on my system is 220, I really DO hope those are series numbers, not the exact numbers. However, the drivers were made for an older kernel -- 2.4.0 amd 2.4.7 and official releases onward they say. I hope they can still be installed and run on the recent 3.x.xx kernel, though I would have to build the "kernel interface" from source --- shouldn't be an issue with recent versions of gcc, glibc, GNU make and binutils.

I am still at a loss about the "nVidia-settings" package, though...

Anyway, I'll reply with either a success or when I manage to mangle my system...

Beans

Gilardo, don't know if this helps, I have an old desktop with Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 card that uses the old 96 legacy driver. It crashes whenever I use anything but the open source Nouveau driver. Lubuntu and Xubuntu have video artifacts under Nouveau, same with Peppermint Linux, only Linux Lite looks good with the Nouveau driver, but flash mostly doesn't work. I haven't tried LXLE on it yet, I figured with Lubuntu not looking right LXLE wouldn't either on that machine, but may try to boot it up and see.

Beans

Thank you, I believe I may have found something about the Nouveau driver vs. the nVidia legacy driver somewhere --- I didn't read carefully enough though

I will read up some more, and tinker a bit. I've downloaded the most recent LXLE release candidate, so I'll start a fresh install with that one and do over a few things

Beans

Update on things: I have not installed the latest release candidate as of yet, since I decided that if I was going to mess up something it should be what I already have.

Brief recap:

-- I had an impossible to read login screen (had to guess that screen was awaiting password input and it worked), garbled screen afterward, trouble with VGA resolution, sluggish system. Managed (very slowly and carefully by navigating the menu Preference --> Additional drivers) to disable nVidia driver.

-- The system was workable, but a tad buggy: after POST and Bios load, then proceed to GRUB, and after selection, monitor turned off, then back on to see a nice login screen.

What I did next:

-- I used Synaptic to uninstall all instances of installed proprietary nVidia drivers. Selected for installation the Nouveau and mesa drivers (xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, libdrm-nouveau1a, libdrm-nouveau2, libgl1-mesa-dri, libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental, libglapi-mesa, plus a few more; the ones without a specific library package name, which seem to correspond to 12.04 LTS or "Precise" library)

-- I somehow have managed to get a file form Xorg -configure, after pressing ctrl-alt-F1, loging in, sudo service lightdm stop, even though it says I have more than one screen. I've just copied the xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf which did not exist. The monitor still turns off momentarily, but the login screen is still good, and I get a nice screen afterward. Removed it, it still behaves the same way -- don't know why

Conclusion: At least the system is working and it would seem the appropriate drivers are installed, but I am not sure I am really using the integrated GPU on my MoBo... lspci does show it, and it does say the driver is the nouveau driver, so I would believe it is so...

Beans

LXLE Gives New Zest to Old Machines

By Jack M. Germain
    LinuxInsider

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/LX...nes-79898.html

Beans

Very nice write up!

Beans

FullCircle Magazine Issue 81

Review: LXLE Linux

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-81/

Beans
    Hidden!

Congratulations to the nice lxle 12.04.4 version

Beans

Looks like someone is very interested in how LXLE is funded:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/42398...is-behind-lxle
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...is-behind-lxle

Claims it's part of "due diligence" before installing.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast