Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

Beans

Re: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

Is it time for a update of LXLE, in the sense of updating all the software and reuploading the iso, since I'm aware now that after install over 300 megs needs to be installed. Any thoughts?

Beans
    Hidden!

It's OK for me, because LXLE is not my production system. But if it is for some users, or if somebody has tweaked a lot, please tell us if it is possible (although slow) to update and dist-upgrade!

Is this update like a point release (like 'vanilla' Ubuntu's 12.04.1 and 12.04.2)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It's OK for me, because LXLE is not my production system. But if it is for some users, or if somebody has tweaked a lot, please tell us if it is possible (although slow) to update and dist-upgrade!

Is this update like a point release (like 'vanilla' Ubuntu's 12.04.1 and 12.04.2)?
    Yea, no new features or added programs or anything like that. Just a general overall update so once installed, the download to get totally up to date isn't so large.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

If you'd like to help LXLE, consider leaving a review about LXLE for the benefit of UnleashPC.com which is a computer repair service I offer where LXLE and many open source solutions are given as viable options.

The front page is a good read, I take aim at one of my biggest pet peeves in the industry, inadequate repair.

The site is called UnleashPC
    http://www.unleashpc.com/

The direct google review link is
    http://tinyurl.com/unleashpc

Thanks in advance to all that may leave a review. It helps my service, helps me push linux, and helps me stay alive.

P.S. If anyone is so inclined to copy the business model. Please do, I would like to wipe out "Planned Breakage".

Beans

Simple Image Reducer - Pretty slick, Pretty easy, Pretty light & Pretty nice.

Simple Image Reducer may be a somewhat unknown tool, of course I say that about every piece of software I just recently discovered. As if I know about every piece of software out there, go figure. In a relatively short time this excellent low resource tool to reduce and rotate images, has become a favorite go to application.

http://www.lxle.net/index.php?showimage=60

Beans

I am planning the first minor update of LXLE, basically just an update of existing packages, with perhaps the inclusion of simple image reducer, to be reuploaded to sourceforge by this weekend. If anyone has any suggestions, tips, help about LXLE before the weekend I will try to address them within the update. thanks.

Beans

One suggestion, in the last LXLE install I did on a netbook I removed xscreensaver and set the power manager not to shut off after 30 minutes, but the screen kept going black after 10 minutes anyway. I checked the startup session menu and the power manager was not clicked, so I clicked it on, but every reboot it is unclicked. Not sure if you used a script or something to set the power manager, but the session settings did not allow for it in startup menu, I'm guessing that's why it is not controlling the screen.

Beans

Update will be out tomorrow. Many bug fixes including the notorious TTY drop to terminal issue. Now fixed and working.... will have a step by step upgrade guide available once the update is released..... just wanted to post because I'm super happy with the TTY issue being fixed, it delayed the update release for more than a week. As usually it turn out to be a simple fix, but getting there took a long time.

thx
    ronnie

Beans

LXLE 12.04.2 is out. Let me know of any issues.

Thanks

www.lxle.net

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I still can't access any virtual terminals (VT) in the live sessions. I tried running the live dvd sessions three different ways. First, I just let it boot up with no modifications. I got a small screen of umlated U's (about 1/6 of the total screen), but it continued to load, boot-up and run with no issues that I could see. Second, I hit tab at the initial screen and selected to add "nomodeset" as I've needed that in the past. As it continued booting I received an error message about a missing file in var/lib...something (sorry, I didn't write it down. I'll try again tomorrow and get the exact error(s) and then continued to load and run OK, but once again there was no access to the VTs...CTRL-ALT F1-F6 did not bring up a visible or usable virtual terminal. CTRL-ALT F7 did bring me back to the GUI screen. Third, I tried booting with the forced vesa option. It hung with the 1/6 screen of U's with no error messages and stopped loading.

Otherwise, with the two options that loaded, I still like the look and feel of LXLE, but find it just doesn't work for me unless the VTs also work.

My system is an old Dell 2350 with a 1.8Mhz Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, dual 80 GB HDD, Nvidia 6200 Graphics and an add-on Gigibit LAN card.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast