Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

Quote Originally Posted by West Swan View Post
    However, Lubuntu 12.04 recommends a minimum of 128Mb Ram....
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniew View Post
    ... Basing minimum specs of the idea of 'it runs' is actually misleading to the average user.
    Too true.

Beans

Question Re: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

My question seems to fit here in this long running thread. Maybe it was answered Mar. 16,2013. Want to know if there is a way to install LXLE like the Ubuntu install using WUBI ?? Like to have LXLE but do not currently have a very good dVD burner.
    Want to keep my XP on same hard drive. I have a 9 gig partition thats empty.
    Last edited by shady2; January 23rd, 2014 at 02:45 AM.

Beans

Can you boot from a USB?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Can you boot from a USB?
    +1

Wubi is actually only for testing, and it is not being developed into the new versions of Ubuntu flavours. If your computer can boot from USB, you can make a USB boot pendrive with LXLE, and install from it.
    Last edited by sudodus; January 23rd, 2014 at 02:29 PM.

Beans

Unhappy Re: LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension

I apologize because I have a couple of questions --- for which I have not found a satisfactory answer yet, and believe me I HAVE looked all over the place using Google, not just searching this forum. I also have a few criticisms, and I hope no one takes them the wrong way, but a bit of frustration on my behalf may surface...

I have an old laptop which up till now still has Windows XP on it, though it has gone through a few reinstalls. It is still working very well, considering I bought it on October 2002. I have over time refurbished it -- it has an extra and larger HDD, a new CPU fan, the original power source is now a 450W source... but those are minutae.

The motherboard is a ASUS A7N266-VM/LAN, originally it had an Athlon XP 1800+ CPU, but recently it has an Athlon XP 2600+ Thoroughbred running at 2.13 GHz, and it now is working (pretty well, I might add) with 1 GB PC2100 DDR RAM -- the maximum the MoBo supports. It originally came with a Seagate 40GB HDD which is now running as a slave and until recenly I was using as a partition drive for a Mandriva PWP 2006 installation -- it was working fine, but I had other issues with it. The WinXP partition is in the master HDD which is a 160 GB Western Digital drive -- again, also running smoothly. Oh, in case it's not obvious, it's a 32 bit machine, i.e. x86

As Windows XP will no longer be supported, and Mandriva is really a commercial distro now, I decided to make it a (mostly) Linux computer. I liked what I read about LXLE and decided to give it a try -- overwriting the Mandriva installation first, just to test the waters.

I tried installing the December 2013 release candidate, but what came next was HELL. Although the Live CD runs nicely, once installed GRUB is virtually illegible -- by guessing what was going on I managed to log in. Whatever advice I found from hours of research was of limited use.

The resolution afterwards is too low, and the screen is painful to watch as it gets easily garbled and the system appears slow like running tar. Reading on the web I found something regarding ubuntu/lubuntu/lxle having some nVidia driver issue, and somehow after many trials I managed for the system to "allow" me to disable the said driver. It runs "fine" with that, but...

Let me explain: the A7N266 motherboard comes with an onboard nVidia nForce chipset:
    -- a nVidia nForce MCP-D integrated South Bridge controller
    -- a nVidia 220D GeForce MX integrated GPU/North Bridge controller
    These combined are a nForce 1 (ONE!) chipset -- the first of the nForce versions, so, very old indeed. The North Bridge's GPU is a GeForce2 MX GPU, and the recent nVidia drivers do not support it.

As I said, disabling the nVidia drivers "seems" to fix the problem, however, I gather I'm losing something by doing so -- I cannot take full advantage of the GPU, and I'm using the CPU to pick up the slack.

So here is my criticism: since LXLE is being touted as a distro that's suited for older PCs, and that's also supposed to be easy to install, I expected something else: it did NOT have the proper support for my older PC and installing and making it run was excruciatingly painful, and difficult as it took me MANY hours of looking around for solutions. I found the claims about the suitability for older PCs and ease of installation wishful thinking in my case.

And here come my questions: though I do have a medium sized knowledge on the subject, I am not a Linux expert, not even an OS expert, so I really do not know the details on how to completely uninstall all of the APPROPRIATE nVidia drivers, so that I can do an install of everything I need --- I had a good look using Synaptic, and if I use nVidia as a filter I get a LOT of files, of which a LOT are already installed.

I am also completely confused about what EXACTLY I should put in the xorg.conf file. I need HELP, and please at least point me in the right direction. And please be patient, as I will not understand all of the Linux files and/or jargon thrown at me. I could probably eventually figure it out on my own, but I've already read so much (easily a good 40+ hours over 8 or 9 days on top of my job) and I am starting to feel burned and bummed out...

I am taking this as a learning experience, but it is starting to lose it's joy, especially since I expected a simpler process --- and I've done my fair share of installations of different versions of Windows (2000, XP, 7, 8) and Linux distros (different releases of CentOS on my work computers and a couple of Mandrake/Mandriva at home).

Thank you for your patience...

EDIT: I have to add that I have a general notion of what I have to do, what I should un/install, but the advice on the web is somewhat contradictory, including posts on this thread which do not agree with posts on other websites; there's also disagreement as to whether I should use the proprietary nVidia drivers or not, which version to use (proprietary or not), etc. So by now I'm getting thoroughly confused...
    Last edited by gildardo; January 26th, 2014 at 12:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

There are different strategies in cases likes yours:

- Try a distro (with a current version), and if it does not work, try another one until you find something that works more or less out of the box. If you have a fast internet connection this might work well.

- Stay with a distro that seems promising and try to solve the problems one by one. It seems you are prepared to try this strategy although it can be frustrating sometimes.

You must realize that the hardware is very old, and that most developers are focusing on making things work with new hardware. The general intention is to keep compatibility with old hardware, but sometimes hardware will be left behind. In this case, maybe you can get an old proprietary nvidia graphics driver to work. I have an ASUS M2N-VM DVI mobo with AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ that I bought 2008. It runs well with Ubuntu 12.04 and xubuntu-desktop with the NVIDIA 304.88 driver

Code:
    glxinfo|grep -i opengl
    OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a/integrated/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.88
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
    You can also try the old nvidia 173 driver (I think it is still available also in LXLE)

Beans

Ronnie,
    As your spin is aimed at old computers I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have a smaller CD version. I was recently given an old retired office computer with just a cd drive. Sometimes I can get it to boot from a usb and sometimes not, but always boots from a cd. I realize the idea is to have a complete OS out of the box, and you do a heck of a job with that, but I had to go with Linux Lite instead because it booted from a cd and I don't have a dvd drive on that machine. Maybe just a cd version with all the drivers and codecs but minus some of the heavier apps like gimp and LibreOffice, ect. It's just a thought, but maybe worth considering when you look at your target audience and all the ancient computers about to be retired this year with cd drives. Just a suggestion.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    Ronnie,
    As your spin is aimed at old computers I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have a smaller CD version. I was recently given an old retired office computer with just a cd drive. Sometimes I can get it to boot from a usb and sometimes not, but always boots from a cd. I realize the idea is to have a complete OS out of the box, and you do a heck of a job with that, but I had to go with Linux Lite instead because it booted from a cd and I don't have a dvd drive on that machine. Maybe just a cd version with all the drivers and codecs but minus some of the heavier apps like gimp and LibreOffice, ect. It's just a thought, but maybe worth considering when you look at your target audience and all the ancient computers about to be retired this year with cd drives. Just a suggestion.
    Have you tried to chainload to USB via the Plop boot manager? Does that work sometimes and sometimes not, or are you talking about direct booting from USB? The ability to boot can depend of the pendrive hardware as well as the version installed on it and the computer.

But I agree, it would be nice with a CD size iso file for certain situations: 'only CD' drive, no booting from USB (or no working USB), no or bad internet connection that makes huge post-installation updates/upgrades cumbersome.
    Last edited by sudodus; January 26th, 2014 at 07:29 PM.

Beans

I can sometimes get it to boot from a usb by pounding on f12 or esc at boot, but it doesn't always work. A cd boot is reliable though.

Beans
    Hidden!

I suggest that you download Plop and make a Plop chainloader CD It is a good tool to help old computers boot from USB. There is also a USB chainloader, that helps with some middle-aged computers.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast