Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Playing with OpenSuse 12.3

Beans

Re: Playing with OpenSuse 12.3

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    OK
    Just double checked the function of this on a machine which has followed the blog (not adding the file you suggest)
    And it's working fine for me
    Umm...
    Umm indeed! How odd. I wonder if you have a particular package or program installed somewhere else that is making the difference? Oh well, I'm just glad it's working OK now.

Does your other machine have the option to safely remove the Nexus available and working too? I don't have that on this laptop, in either Dolphin or the system tray.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Does your other machine have the option to safely remove the Nexus
    No
    Something needs working on I guess
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    There's a LiveDVD/USB option similar to Ubuntu's: http://software.opensuse.org/123/en
    But be sure to download the correct .iso. There is a dvd .iso that only offers install. The .iso including a 'live' option is separate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just switched to opensuse 12.3 gnome recently, really liking it so far. Seems very polished and stable. My favorite thing is definitely the package management, zypper took a while to get used to but its the most robust package manager I've used, its dependency resolution and handing of upgrades from different repos and such is very impressive. I also love the OBS, there seems to be a lot of software available via OBS and community repositories, and the "one click install" is a nice touch.

My issues with it are:

Quality control in the repositories could be a little better. There seems to be several "broken" packages in the repos. for example I installed smuxi (my favorite irc client) and either mono or the smuxi package in the repo is very broken, the application simply doesn't launch, and if I try and launch it via the terminal I get a mono error. I also had an issue with the gtk3-engine-unico package from the repo, it would cause gnome to crash when using a theme that used the unico engine. Strangely enough I've had no issues with packages from the OBS/community repos, only those packages from the official repos.

Policykit/permissions/groups could be configured better by default. by default you aren't even in the printer group, doing some tasks in opensuse like adding a printer will ask your password way too many times.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

I've had more than my fair share of broken packages in the Ubuntu repos over the years, so I won't hold that against openSUSE! All you can do is report it and hope someone sees it.

I've seen quite a lot of criticism from new users of the package management. I think a lot of people add some extra repositories, and then panic a bit when the "de-installation" warnings hit. I can definitely understand this, as I've been in the same position and gone "huh?". It's actually a really robust approach and you just have to learn how it works. I tend to add a repo like Packman, and then perform a switch in Yast, so that the system knows I prefer packages from that repository. That way, the system doesn't throw up the errors, and if I decide to remove the repo I can just revert all the packages to the standard repositories and remove the offending one easily. I found that I couldn't do that with Ubuntu if I'd added a PPA or two. I had lots of problems a while ago when I added a Gnome 3 PPA and then tried to remove and revert it later.

It's horses for courses, but I've found that much like when I first started with Ubuntu, I have begun to learn a different way and am enjoying it.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X

Beans

I am giving this a major shot, and overall pretty good.
    The only issue is that I had loads of issues getting netflix working on it, sure converting wine-compholio is easy via alien and does work, but the links it creates often fail.
    Dont know why, I had to manually make my links to windows firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    I've had more than my fair share of broken packages in the Ubuntu repos over the years, so I won't hold that against openSUSE! All you can do is report it and hope someone sees it.

I've seen quite a lot of criticism from new users of the package management. I think a lot of people add some extra repositories, and then panic a bit when the "de-installation" warnings hit. I can definitely understand this, as I've been in the same position and gone "huh?". It's actually a really robust approach and you just have to learn how it works. I tend to add a repo like Packman, and then perform a switch in Yast, so that the system knows I prefer packages from that repository. That way, the system doesn't throw up the errors, and if I decide to remove the repo I can just revert all the packages to the standard repositories and remove the offending one easily. I found that I couldn't do that with Ubuntu if I'd added a PPA or two. I had lots of problems a while ago when I added a Gnome 3 PPA and then tried to remove and revert it later.

It's horses for courses, but I've found that much like when I first started with Ubuntu, I have begun to learn a different way and am enjoying it.
    Yeah at first I actually didn't like the package management, and thought I did something wrong when zypper presented me with dependency "conflicts". The "vendor change" stuff with opensuse's package management did confuse me a bit at first in particular, but after understanding how it works I've come to love it, zypper handles 3rd party repos and upgrades much better than apt. Its very nice to be able to do a "vendor change" to your preferred repo, so even if the 3rd party repo has older packages you can easily make the package manager prefer them. It also makes it very easy to "revert" packages from a 3rd party repo back to official packages, and works far better than ppa-purge in ubuntu. Zypper is very intelligent and its nice how it always presents you with multiple options to handle dependency "conflicts". I've really come to like it more than any other package manager I've used.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro

It's generally considered best to keep to a minimum the adding of repos above and beyond the standard + Packman, libdvdcss, (and either ATI/nVidia).
    At least until you have some experience.
    The OneClick experience is best avoided (It's not the best IMO)
    If in doubt... ask first.
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

A bit off-topic, but I just learned today that the Opensuse forums can be accessed with a newsreader (NNTP). I've never seen this feature for any other Linux based web forums. Pretty cool.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    A bit off-topic, but I just learned today that the Opensuse forums can be accessed with a newsreader (NNTP). I've never seen this feature for any other Linux based web forums. Pretty cool.
    Quite correct
    All forums actually: openSUSE, SUSE, Novell.....
    It's very useful

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123