Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing with OpenSuse 12.3

Beans

Re: Playing with OpenSuse 12.3

Well I can only tell of my own experience. I would say if you're happy as you are then there's no point switching. It can take time for you to get things set up as you like them, and can be often just be running to stand still.

However, it was a pressing matter for us to replace Ubuntu 12.04 on this laptop with another distro (lots of hangs and freezes sadly), and I'm happy to report that openSUSE 12.3 fits the bill so far. Got it all installed and set up, and so far so good. Got all the software installed that we need, and this is indeed a fast setup on the metal. Lovely quick boot and shutdown too. Very polished. The devs loved this one clearly, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Unless you're happy with what you got already.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Well I can only tell of my own experience. I would say if you're happy as you are then there's no point switching. It can take time for you to get things set up as you like them, and can be often just be running to stand still.

However, it was a pressing matter for us to replace Ubuntu 12.04 on this laptop with another distro (lots of hangs and freezes sadly), and I'm happy to report that openSUSE 12.3 fits the bill so far. Got it all installed and set up, and so far so good. Got all the software installed that we need, and this is indeed a fast setup on the metal. Lovely quick boot and shutdown too. Very polished. The devs loved this one clearly, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Unless you're happy with what you got already.
    Yes
    Boot and shutdown is rapid
    Rock solid ATM
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Someone must be interested. I downloaded via torrent and the uploads haven't stopped for several hours.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    Tempted to give it a whirl. But happy with my Mint 14 KDE backported to KDE 4.10.1 and running great.
    And no need for learning new package management? As standard synaptic & Ubuntu back-end.

So Is it Worth the effort for me to download and give it a whirl? Something given over my present KDE setup?
    There's a LiveDVD/USB option similar to Ubuntu's: http://software.opensuse.org/123/en

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Well it seems I spoke too soon with the Nexus. It mounted and presented it as an option in Dolphin, but you cannot move files to the device. It just hangs or gives you errors. However, following the comments on the blog you link to I've installed go-mtpfs and now it works great. Thought it worth mentioning here. I picked the package by polyconvex from the openSUSE Build Service, my only reasoning being the other package on OBS is listed as HTC. I'm sure there's nothing between them, but hey.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X

Beans
    Distro

Well it seems I spoke too soon with the Nexus. It mounted and presented it as an option in Dolphin, but you cannot move files to the device. It just hangs or gives you errors. However, following the comments on the blog you link to I've installed go-mtpfs and now it works great. Thought it worth mentioning here. I picked the package by polyconvex from the openSUSE Build Service, my only reasoning being the other package on OBS is listed as HTC. I'm sure there's nothing between them, but hey.
    Thanks for that
    I'll look in to it
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro

OK
    Just double checked the function of this on a machine which has followed the blog (not adding the file you suggest)
    And it's working fine for me
    Umm...

Beans

Just out of interest, why does OpenSUSE not have Eclipse and/or NetBeans in the repos? It must be the only mainstream Linux distribution for which this is the case. To have neither is quite remarkable. Is it not much used by programmers or something?

Beans
    Distro

Beans

But isn't that like Arch's AUR? i.e. it's packaged by a member of the community or am I mistaken?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast